Thread: Installing Fedora Core 13 on a system having Windows 7

Installing Fedora Core 13 on a system having Windows 7

My Acer laptop has Windows 7 installed in it , I purchased it around 10 months back, I do not have any issue as far as the performance of laptop is concerned it works very well .I use my laptop system for my own personal use and mostly work on Office tools and a few other third party applications . My younger brother is an IT student and is pursuing a certification course in Linux fro a private institute . So he wants to install Fedora Core 13 in my laptop system . Then comes the issue , my question is that is it possible to install the Fedora operating system having Windows 7 already installed in my system . If any body has done this type of installation before , I would also like to know how this can be accomplished. I am waiting for your response.
    Last edited by "Dritan"; 22-12-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Re: Installing Fedora Core 13 on a system having Windows 7

Yes it is a very helpful operating system if you are in the programming field , You can install Fedora Core 13 having Windows 7 already installed in your system however for that you require to install virtual PC on your system . Then make an effort to install Fedora on your virtual PC and see if it really works .You can download virtual PC it easily form the internet.

I can prove the dual-boot option works very well.I too have Fedora 13 dual installed with Vista, which with look upon to starting it up from a bootloader - works precisely the similar way as Windows 7 You can boot from the Fedora Live CD , then choose the way you want it install it and set it for the installer. You will end up with a easy menu that will appear when you first turn the system and will ask you regarding the boot, then it will ask you from which you want to boot to the system Fedora or Windows 7.

Let me notify you that after clicking on the Install button through a LiveCD desktop is not your last chance to retreat . You can pass by as it is very simple and you can do it yourself as you watch the progress and if you are not content with what it is suggesting you then just turn off the system before pressing 'write changes to disc' and when you switch on the system again , it will occur as if nothing has happened .

Windows Vista and Windows 7 Virtual PC operating system do not sustain 64-bit guest Operating system . You would require to use a third-party application like VirtualBox from Sun so that you can support a 64 bit operating system . You would also require a machine and BIOS that works with hardware virtualization on the platform where a 64 bit operating system is installed . Well if you ask me just the Windows Server operating systems operates on 64-bit guest operating systems.