Thread: Is copying Windows 7 drive to a newer hard drive loses my activation

Is copying Windows 7 drive to a newer hard drive loses my activation

I have newly acquired a latest hard drive to upgrade my slow or small hard drive that is running Microsoft windows 7. I am considering duplicating the present installation by means of clonezilla to the newer hard drive. Later than reading the Activation FaQ of windows 7, it specifies that I will lose activation with a main hardware change that is motherboard or if I alter hard drive and memory at the similar time. I may be incorrect but I guess that if I am just upgrading the hard drive, I will not be necessary to reactivate windows 7. No additional hardware alter will be useful other than the hard drive. The query is, if I duplicate my windows installation partition to the newer hard drive by means of clonezilla, will I lose my activation? Are there any additional recommended methods to do so? If have then please provide.

Re: Is copying Windows 7 drive to a newer hard drive loses my activation

Windows 7 has a fixed imaging program, but if changing hard drives I would not suggest Windows 7 built in imaging, make use of Clonezilla and make certain you purchase a larger hard drive then you presently have. Make a System Image in Windows 7. Later than you setup and activate Windows 7 build a system image as a backup for your present computer if you ever require to reinstall it. This will re-establish your computer to its precise state while the image was made, that will save you the problem of containing to reinstall Windows 7 and the whole thing presently installed another time, and it takes much less time to do.

Connect the novel hard drive as a slave, after that partition the novel hard drive so it has two partitions, the very last partition being a little larger than the quantity of data on your present hard drive. As well make certain that the partition you are moving Windows 7 to is larger than the whole size of your present hard drive. Now make an image of your current hard drive with either of the programs and save it to the last partition on your novel drive. If you have the 100 MB recovery partition make certain to comprise that. After that restore the image to the partition you wish Windows 7 installed on, you should place it up the similar as your present drive, and you may have to remove or change the partitions you made.

Every hardware part has a point number allocated to it, if you restore too many and surpass a certain amount of points you will have to reactivate Windows. Don't know the precise number until it will force reactivation, but typically replacing just single part additional then the motherboard does not necessitate reactivation. Product key information, in the form of the product ID, is sent beside with a hardware hash to Microsoft's activation system for the period of activation. Windows Product Activation verifies eight dissimilar groups of hardware, which are:
    1. Processor and Serial Number
    2. IDE Adapter
    3. Hard Drive Device and VSN
    4. RAM Amount Range
    5. Display Adapter
    6. Optical Drive
    7. Network Adapter

You might, or you might not. Moreover way just reactivate. If online not succeed Call Microsoft by means of Manual Phone Activation. If you are at present installing Windows at the Enter Your Product Key sheet, do not enter your key and uncheck "Automatically Activate while Online" after that click OK to complete the installation. If you have problem activating Windows 7 release the Windows Activation Wizard when in Windows 7 to get a phone number to call Microsoft and activate Windows:
    1. While you reach the desktop click Start, after that in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
    2. Push Enter on your Keyboard
    3. Choose your Country.
    4. Choose the Phone Activation choice, after that call the number given and hold for a genuine person.