Thread: Setting up software RAID on Linux

Setting up software RAID on Linux

I want your help ... I am trying to set up the software RAID on my OS (Linux), but it is not getting succeeded. I am trying for RAID because RAID systems can reduce the downtime and data safety. So thought that there must be someone who might have installed the RAID in linux. So please help me and provide some steps that can be useful while doing the setup of RAID. Any other information related to the topic would be appreciable.

Re: Setting up software RAID on Linux

Servers are a good thing when they perform their service without problems. In general, keep in these data that are needed by users. If one fails, it usually costs money. With RAID systems can reduce the downtime and data safety. RAID systems are generally those applications where failure and data security is required.Such systems were beginning to be scheduled, because there anyway a backup there. Assuming a server crystallizes suddenly important piece of hardware out to be, one might perhaps this is a RAID expand and thus better protect against failures. With Linux it is not a problem, a RAID implement a later date.

Right at the beginning should be mentioned that below mentioned steps should only do if you have a recent backup at our disposal. If in doubt, please backup all important data again. Any tampering of the type is the possibility of a complete data loss - although unlikely. Do you have data to a safe place copies all you can think about which RAID you want to use scenario. Another important information is that you need to format the newly created RAID. It is not possible to include a pre-formatted partition in a RAID array. What would you do is install another hard drive, put the appropriate RAID, data there copy out important and then put on the mount point - for example / home or / var. A RAID system can be quite convenient to generate the command line. You need the package mdadm. On most server distributions, it should be installed by default. If this is not the case, it is in most cases in the appropriate repositories and can easily be installed without using the known channels.

I tried that, in that I installed the operating system on the first hard drive in your system. Now we add two more virtual storage of 10 GB size (sdb and sdc) that each contain a partition. When you create new partitions, they should be applied on top of a Linux RAID devices (0xFD in cfdisk or fdisk). This step makes the administrator's life easier. The two new partitions are to be combined into a RAID 1 array. In this example, you call the following command as a user with root privileges:
    mdadm - create / dev/md0 - level = 1 - raid-devices = 2 / dev/sdb1 / dev/sdc1
    This now creates the RAID array md0 as RAID level 1 with the two partitions / dev/sdb1 and / dev/sdc1. If everything goes well, with your command cat / the proc / mdstat to verify. With watch cat / proc / mdstat command, the system every two seconds from the RAID and you can even monitor visually. Now, although the mirror is produced but not yet formatted. You can device / dev/md0 just treat this, if it were a physical storage device. In our example, we can format the RAID 1 array as a filesystem ext4: mkfs.ext4 / dev/md0. Do you want to RAID array automatically on system start, you must customize the file mdadm.conf which our case in the / etc / is on. Call the command: mdadm - examine - scan on and enter the result in the configuration file. You can also do this with the same command can be done, but it should then check: mdadm - examine - scan>> / etc / mdadm.conf.

Now, although the RAID Array will start with system, but not yet integrated. In our case, we edit the file responsible for that / etc / fstab and add the following line: / dev/md0 / media/raid-md0 ext4 defaults 0 0. The mount directory / media/raid-md0 must of course exist. According to me, you should also know about the RAID Systems with Webmin. This can be set up and manage RAID sets due. As powerful as the console tool mdadm is far from Webmin. However, Webmin provides non-Linux experts a quick way to get to the result. Administrators who have more to do with RAID and Linux should make themselves familiar with but the console. This simple reasons: a console you have on any Linux system available, which can not be said of Webmin. For Webmin you need a browser and it should not have a graphical interface on the server , they should be used by Webmin port (usually 10000) to be accessible from the outside in - that is, the firewall must allow access.