Thread: How to read files on LaCie Drive with Linux

How to read files on LaCie Drive with Linux

Friends, I am using a LaCie 2Big drive which have an enclosure failure. It was in service in "SAFE" RAID 1 mode therefore I suppose the data is protected and that is still on all the internal drives. I got a advanced replacement unit and I thought that if I just plug old drives into the new enclosure then it will run fine But it does not happens so because the firmware was different. Previously I was using the MAC so I am not much familiar with operating system on the PC. So I thought that I should use Linux to read one of the drives and was able to do that. I was able to see all the Linux folders but it was missing my data.

Please tell me that why it is not visible to me. Where should I look for them? I need quick reply. Please help.

Re: How to read files on LaCie Drive with Linux

It is depend on the version of the Ubuntu that you are using. Earlier version of it does not give access to the partition editor but in the latest version of this, you will be able to access the partition editor. For that, you have to go to System -> Administration -> Partition Editor. If you are using the older version then I recommend you to use the latest version and this can solve the problem for you.

How do you connect the drive to the computer? I am asking this to you because if you are using the cable connection then it is possible that the cable which you are using is corrupted and that is causing the problem. You can try to use a different cable and check if it is working with this or not. You will get this easily on any computer hardware shop. This is the first thing that you need to try.

If the driver that is installed in your computer is not working properly then also you may get the issues which you are getting right now. Uninstall the driver and install it again. If that is not able to solve the problem then you can search for the latest driver on the manufacturer’s site. Download it and install it. In many of the cases like this, I have seen that updating the driver solves the problem.

You have to install the additional software if you want to use XFS partition. First of all go to the System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager. Click on search and in the search box type "xfs" and search for this. From the results that you get, click on "xfsprogs" package. After that click on the apply button. Once you are done with the installation then you will be able to mount the XFS partition. If you cannot access the partition easily then you can click Places->Home folder. On the left side, you will see "930GB media". Click on that and it will mount this automatically and you can see your files.