Thread: Windows 7: Unable to Copy large >1.5GB files

Windows 7: Unable to Copy large >1.5GB files

Hello friends, I had Windows 7 on my machine and I have a logically commanding system and newly added a USB3 external dock. I wanted to target copying times but was disappointed to see that a largish file would at first copy at quick speed (>1GBps from SSD to external SSD) after reaching 50% to 75% the copying on the whole stopped and the displayed copying pace now kept receiving lower and time to complete becomes higher. While I attempt to cancel it, nothing happens in any way and annoying to get relieve of the conversation boxes finally creates Explorer to collide. I haven't tried out this thing with the smaller files so far but I imagine that the break point is anywhere in surplus of 1GB. perhaps a connected trouble but when copying a big quantity of file - windows explorer progress bar shows total (full green) well previous to all the files have copied and I have no way of expressive at what point I am in the copying process - this is a mainly annoying trouble and seems like a fault in Windows 7 - or could it be the adding up of the USB3.

Re: Windows 7: Unable to Copy large >1.5GB files

You may try an attempt transferring or copying files in to the safe mode and ensure if the similar problem occurs. You may also verify if you are able to transfer or copy files after putting the machine in to the clean boot condition. To get more assistance troubleshoot error messages and additional issues; you can also initiate Windows 7 OS by means of a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This type of startup is usually called as the "clean boot." A clean boot helps eradicate software clash. The steps to be used while doing the clean boot are given below:
    1. Open to the computer by means of an account that has administrator authority.
    2. After that click on to the Start option on the taskbar, in the Start Search box type msconfig.exe, and then hit ENTER to begin the System Configuration Utility.
    3. Now you go to the General tab in that click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.
    4. Go to the tab of the Services, click to choose the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tick Disable all.

Once you had finished doing the troubleshooting, try to follow these steps to reorganize the computer to start as usual:
    1. on the start button, enter msconfig.exe into the Start Search box, and then hit ENTER.
    2. Now on the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then after have a click on OK.
    3. When it display a message to restart the computer system, click Restart

Occasionally the copy time can be overwhelming if the destination disk has bad sectors. Thus I kindly suggest you to run chkdsk.exe utility to scan your external hard drive. To do this, take the following steps:
    1. Attach your external hard disk or USB to your computer system.
    2. After that open a command prompt in an elevated privilege.
    3. Execute the following command: chkdsk [Drive letter] /f
    if there is any bad sector then run the following command to set bad sectors and recover readable information.
    chkdsk [Drive letter] /R

I have managed to get the answer myself and you will be pleased to know that it has not to do the anything with Windows 7 OS. The problem I get is after keeping the Firmware up to date. I didn't installed and run the application called Sanitary Erase even though it was not essential. I have completed so now and all my problems had disappeared - I can now copy a 12 GB file at 92MBps speed internally and 88GBps externally to my USB3 dock. I have also no longer undergo the "Logging Off" trouble as Windows shuts down flawlessly now.