Thread: Unable to open the Device Manager in Windows 7

Unable to open the Device Manager in Windows 7

Hello friends, I had upgraded Windows 7 on to my computer system. I am currently being trying to open the device manager with the help of the control panel and get the green progress bar moving gradually across the top, but it never in fact finishes and opens device manager. I am just trying to view my printers, but can't get the Device Manager open. I can’t get it to run through the control panel. I am also unable to open the Device Manager in Safe mode. Please I need some help to open the Device Manager. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Re: Unable to open the Device Manager in Windows 7

I would recommend you to once again check it in safe mode and after booting it in the safe mode try to perform certain steps given below, if you are able to access the device manager into the Safe mode; you will now have right to use the only basic files and the drivers. After booting it in the safe mode, follow the below steps to get open the device manager: 1. initially have a click on to the Start button on the taskbar and then click on Run window. 2. In the Run type devmgmt.msc and then click OK. If you are displayed the message for an admin password or intended for a confirmation, enter the password, or you may also click directly to Allow. You might also even click on to the Start and enter the Device Manager in the search box displayed and verify if you are able to open it from the options which are displayed into the start menu window. Hope this will help you out.

Try to perform the certain steps: first click to the Start windows button, after that go to the search box and in that enter cmd in it. In that right click to the command prompt and choose the Run as Administrator options from that, type regsvr32 devmgr.dll and press the enter button and Type regsvr32 dmocx.dll and click on the enter. They must return an accomplishment message then try to open the device manager. Also verify it: click to the Start, from that go at the search box and in that devmgmt.msc, in that have a right click on to the option and from that choose the properties option. The opens with option must display Microsoft Management. Try to perform it and inform further.

The problem may take place if you change the registry in the wrong way. Thus, confirm that you follow these steps cautiously. For additional guard, take the back up of the registry before you change it. After that, you can restore the registry if a difficulty exists.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {74246bfc-4c96-11d0-abef-0020af6b0b7a}]
    @="Device Manager"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {74246bfc-4c96-11d0-abef-0020af6b0b7a}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\devmgr.dll"
    "Threading Model"="Apartment"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {74245bfc-4c96-11d0-abef-0020af6b0b7a}\Prog Id]
    @="DevMgrSnapin.DevMgrSnapin.1"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{74245bfc-4c96-11d0-abef-0020af6b0b7a}\VersionIndependent Prog Id]
    @="DevMgrSnapin.DevMgrSnapin.1"

To back up and restore the registry in Windows: firstly Copy the above things on to the notepad. secondly Save it as dev.reg. Thirdly do the Double click on the same. lastly Restart the computer

sad Unable to open the Device Manager in Windows 7

Hi,

I have a problem in opening device manager being a administrator of my computer.
    I get the following error message (Attached).

[Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item ]

Please assist.

Thank you,
    Biplab Chand
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are using Windows 7, then enter 'devmgmt.msc' in the start search box and after that ensure if it releases since you are unable to open via control panel. Have a glance and observe if you have this file:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc
    1. First you will have to click on start button.
    2. In the search box, type 'run'.
    3. Enter 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc' and check if the file is present.
    There are chances that the file could be corrupt; in such scenario, I would recommend doing an system file check to endeavor to repair this file.

I get the same error message when I perform the above steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Biplab Chand View Post
    I get the same error message when I perform the above steps.
    If you are still getting the same error than am sure that file could be corrupt. You will need to repair this file by doing an system file check. In order to that, simply run System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to conclude which file is creating the issue. Once find, replace that. For more help on this, just have a look on this Microsoft Article.

This is due to virus infection in your system. When you have a virus like trojan it modifies your file permission. So even if you are in admin account you cannot access Device Manager or Task Manager. It is also possible that the same is corrupted. For this the first thing you can try is system restore. Run system restore from start menu. If that does not work then you can download the dlls files from internet and copy the same directly on the system32 folder.

I get the same error message when I try to run system resources. Please assist

If possible then try to take control of my computer & fix this please.

hey i am not able to install antivirus on my computer.It blocks the internet connection.Please Help!

Which antivirus are you trying to install ? Basically, there are two reason for this issue. First, there might be some conflict in the firewall and your antivirus program and second, if you are using trial version, than it is the trick of the company so that you contact their technical support and try to upgrade the product to full version for a fee.

Earlier I use to use Norton 2010 but changed to 2011 post which the issue started.

try a registry repair should do the trick

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Window...-10606555.html

else reinstall windows...ensure the problem is not there at the start...backup your registry entries with any good registry tool...if any application later on modifies it..you can always restore it this way