Thread: Security Properties dialog freezes

Security Properties dialog freezes

Hi all, I am trying to do some modification in the security tab of the property dialog. I am using Windows XP SP2 running. If I open that dialog box and do the changes in the security tab and as I press OK then it gets hanged there with OK button pressed. I waited for 15 to 20 minutes but nothing happens. After that, I pressed close button from the top right corner of the dialog box and it closes that. This is the only way to close that when I tried to change that few more times. I was trying to allow the ready only access over network. Please suggest me that what should I do to fix this problem. Please reply as early as possible.

Re: Security Properties dialog freezes

As you told that you are using Windows XP. You can assign the permissions for the files so that only those users whom you have specified can access the files. If you are not using the Windows XP then if you right click on any file then you will not see the Security tab but in windows XP this is visible. If you want to reveal the Security tab you can follow the three easy steps.
    1. First of all, you have to open the Windows Explorer and from the tools menu open folder option.
    2. Click on the view tab and scroll down to Advanced Settings. Uncheck the checkbox that is next to "Use Simple File Sharing”.
    3. To apply the changes, you have to click on Ok button.

I hope that this will help you to solve the problem.

As you told that you want to assign the read only access to all the users who are there in the domain so that they cannot delete the files from the network. It is very easy to do, you just have to all the users who are there in the domain and give then only read only rights. This is the easiest way to do. I have also did the same for my system.

I think that you have not enabled the SFS (simple file sharing) and that is why the security tab get freeze when you try to apply the changes. To enable SFS, you can go to My Computer -> Tools - > Folder Options - > View -> Use Simple File Sharing. I am also having the security tab which was getting freezes when I click on apply after adding or removing any user name from this tab. After I enabled the SFS then it solves the problem and I never faced any such problem till now.

As property window is also a part of the operating system that is installed on your computer. So I think that the Operating system is corrupted for your computer. My suggestion to you is to repair the OS. It’s very easy to do that. Just insert the bootable Windows XP CD in your computer and restart the system. This time you have to boot from the CD. After that it will show you the option to repair the system. Press R key and this will start repairing the system. It will replace all the corrupted files with the new copy and your problem may be solved. If that is also not helpful to you then the only option left for you is to do a clean install of the operating system. Make sure that this is your last option if nothing helps you.