Thread: how to Edit an AVI file ?

how to Edit an AVI file ?

I have got a desktop system , my processor is quite old , it is intel dual core and runs on 1GB of RAM . I have some issues with my videos . I went to Bangalore last week. I had done a lot of video recording. However those recording contains a lot of non essential part so I want it to be removed , but I do not know how this can be done. If you ask me the format of my video, then it would be AVI file. So please tell me how I can edit any video file which is in AVI format and also tell me is there any tool available which will help me in making alterations to the video clips, I am eagerly waiting for your response . And also tell me what is the difference in editing am AVI file and a MPEG file if you can.
    Last edited by kALAMATHI; 14-12-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Re: how to Edit an AVI file ?

Editing an AVI file is frame accurate, but I do not think an MPEG file is as much frame accurate . If yo do not understand what does it means , be patient . It means that at what time you are editing an AVI,the frame that you have chosen to start and stop a cut precisely wherever you intend it to cut. But I do not have any such tool available for editing these types files.

MPG video is made up of 3 different sorts of frames namely I, B, and P. In order to reduce the sum of data requisite to reconstruct each frame, one total frame i.e I is sent, then the differences between that frame and the upcoming frame are sent to reconstruct the upcoming frames i.e B and then P . You are suppose to cut only "I" frames. This implies that part of the preceding scene may vanish or portion of the scene may stay where you make a cut. This is irritating to a few and looks slack if you are attempting to edit the video for your seminars and presentation slides .

AVI is a file requirement only; i.e. it will take any random number of dissimilar compression/encoding techniques , or you may not be able to squeeze it at all The difference is, suppose if you have a MPEG1 and you have installed a codec as well , you can simply edit the MPEG file you have , but this is not the case of an AVI file , but an AVI file requires a key frames to edit an AVI file. VirtualDub is a tool that you can use with AVI files.