Thread: windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item

sad windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item

Hello,
    about 3 days ago i got home and my laptop was off, since i turned it on i have alot of problems, i guess when i was away some XP SP2 updates (im using XP Pro) were installed and thats what shutdown the computer but im not sure.
    anyway- im trying to open a software written in JScript at IE which im using for the last 5 years constantly, but lots of prompts asking me if i want to continue loading the page occur, starting with
    "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your compute"
    my reply "Allow Blocked Content"
    and it brings this:
    "Allowing active content such as script and ActiveX controls can be useful. However, active content might also harm your computer.
    Are you sure you want to let this file run active content?"
    my reply "Yes"
    now this "Scripts are usually safe, do you want to allow scripts to run" for about 3 times
    and now when im pressing any link (that calls a JScript function)- it starts over and eventully fail.

second error "/idlist,:508:1772, error" when i tried to open c:\windows directory from start-run.

and third- lots of exe files (like explorer, windows firewall,...) are showing this error when im trying to open them:
    header: "rundll32.exe", body: "windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item."

please, anyone, anything, i tried changing some options at the security zone on IE and some other advises from some forums but nothing seems to work

thanks from advance, Gil

Re: windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item

If you are getting lots of security suggestion while surfing with the Internet Explorer then let me tell you that you have to remove the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component from the Windows and then you will be able to work without any issue. Also as your Exe files are not working then you have to get into the Registry Editor and then navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Cdm/ Parameters/ExecuteFromMappedDrive " Now change the "ExecuteFromMappedDrive" to 1. So if you can then try this out and see whether this is working for you or not.

Re: windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item

i've seen that tip- but i dont have the Cdm "directory" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services"

someone? please