I am writing this subject for debate on solutions to implement for mounting services on the Internet; not to challenge the choice of MacG. Today, when I want to work on a server with different Internet services, I opt for a solution that runs on PC and Linux. This choice is motivated by the following points:
- The integration of Apache, PHP and MySQL is the hands down.
- Developers of open source solutions work mostly on GNU / Linux and I think we can legitimately assume that the tests are more mature.
- Security concerns are followed.
- No need to install software that is not needed. It's always potential security holes and less.
- It does not depend on the policy of a manufacturer.
To simplify my point, I'd say the only drawback I see a solution based on GNU / Linux and the required mastery of UNIX, if you own it, I do not see the value of a solution that runs on Mac OS X. Otherwise, things are changing.