Thread: Windows folder becomes very big in size

Windows folder becomes very big in size

I have just sold one desktop machine on I have installed Windows XP. Initially there was no problem with the setup of desktop and Windows OS. But after few day, My client complained about the size of the windows folder. I have checked it that it was of some around 29Gb in size. I don't have any idea that how this has happened. Can anybody share an experience if they have sorted out this issue? Please help me!

Re: Windows folder becomes very big in size

I would like to inform you that normally windows folder must be of 2Gb or somewhere around it. As you said that you have checked it of 29Gb then I guess there must be some mistake while showing the size of folder on your windows machine. I suggest you to check that really 29Gb of space has been used or not. You can check about the same by crossing the space limit of your drive on which windows folder exists. If windows counts all 29 GBs while filling the space of drive then that folder must be containing some heavy data which made it this much bigger. I suggest you to check the data presented inside the windows folder, It might happen that user have dragged any huge folder in windows folder.

Although I don't have any idea about what could be the problem with the windows folder but I guess this problem can get solved by reinstalling the whole operating system on the same machine. I think something has gone wrong while installing an operating system and hence there would be freaking out in the registries of your operating system.

There could be some virus which might have made some changes in your windows registry due to which your windows folder is getting affected and some script might be running existing the folder itself. Anyways I suggest you to first check in the Task Manager that is there any process running behind your knowledge due to which function of an operating system for declaring the size of the folder gets tweaked. Not to worry at all use any good antivirus software to scan your whole system, better you start with the local drive on which you have installed windows os.

smithndavis Guest

This problem is because of virus or registry.First scan full pc with updated anti virus and then check registries and repair damaged registries.There are many registry tools are available on internet so you can use that to fix registry error or problem.

Well, the best and trustful application i can suggest is Windows 2000 Registry Repair Utility from Microsoft. This helps to recover a Windows 2000 system from registry corruption.The utility will attempt to repair the corrupted registry and allow your machine to boot again. but note that depending on the type of registry corruption that has occurred, running this utility could result in some data loss from the registry. Also, this utility may be unable to repair some types of registry corruptions.

Download Windows 2000 Registry Repair Utility