Thread: Troubleshooting master file table problem on windows 7

Troubleshooting master file table problem on windows 7

I am having windows 7 operating system installed on my Hitachi 750 GB Hard Drive. Last night while playing Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 it was freezing in between. So I tried that restarting the system would be the best option that can resolve freezing problem. Restarting the system could also not help. When I started the chkdsk then it displayed me Master File Table has been corrupted error message. I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this master file table and play the Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 game without any problem.

Re: Troubleshooting master file table problem on windows 7

Master file table is a portion on the hard disk which contains NTFS file system. The master file table contains information about all the files and directories. If the Master file table has been corrupted then you can use some of the disk repair tool to fix it. Repairing a corrupted Master file table will take some time. You need to follow the steps to repair corrupted Master file table. Go to start/all programs/accessories. Select command prompt from the accessories. Now you need to type “chkdsk x: /r” where r is the drive which contains corrupted Master file table. Now you need to press “Y” to provide confirmation so that it scans and repair. Restart the system, now the corrupted master file system will be repaired.

You can also make use of ICE ECC which is file verification and repair tool. You can secure your important files and sensitive data from being corrupted by making use of ICE ECC software. The steps to use ICE ECC software are as follows:
    • Download and install ICE ECC software and open it by double clicking on it.
    • Click on scan button to scan the computer for corrupted .MFT files. This software will fix the corrupted .MFT files.
    • Now you should revive .MFT files with unstoppable container. Select the device that contains corrupted .MFT files to scan. unstoppable Copier will repair .MTF files.
    • Now you can make use of DriveRestore Professional to recover damaged .MFT files. DriveRestore software will recover the damaged files and put them back together recreating the .MTF file.

Thanks for providing me the solution. As the Master file record is very important part of the operating system because it contains useful information. We should always protect the master file table. If the master file table has been corrupted then it can create problem. The master file table of my system was corrupted and I applied the above solution. Within some time my master file table was repaired. Is there any way to restore the master file table again? If yes then provide me the steps to repair master file table.

You can also restore the master file table by making use of recovery console. To restore the corrupted master file table you need to insert the Windows XP CD into the DVD-ROM drive. Restart the system and press any key from the keyboard when you are prompted by the message. Follow the prompt and get access to the recovery console. Enter the same number that is displayed on the recovery console. Now you need to type “chkdsk” at the recovery console to start the repair process. You need to provide the confirmation and the recovery console will restore the master file table.