Thread: Troubleshooting boot failure problems due to dead CMOS battery

Troubleshooting boot failure problems due to dead CMOS battery

I was having Linux i.e. Ubuntu operating system installed on my desktop. Last night, I was downloading games from internet and browsing was also going on simultaneously. Suddenly while browsing across the internet there was power failure. After some time the power supply was on, I restarted the system but it was not booting. The booting problem was due to dead CMOS battery. I need a solution to troubleshoot this problem so that I can restart my laptop again.
    Last edited by ravinderroy; 13-12-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Re: Troubleshooting boot failure problems due to dead CMOS battery

CMOS battery is used to supply power settings to your BIOS when it is turned off. Due to low battery in CMOS you may sometime face booting problem. Also when the CMOS battery goes off the system won’t boot. If the CMOS battery is dead then in that case you need to change the CMOS battery. You need to change the new CMOS battery with the old one but the battery must have the same number.

If your CMOS battery is low or dead then you may face certain problem such as boot failure. You need to replace the CMOS battery and your booting problem which was occurring will be solved. If changing the CMOS battery doesn’t solve the booting problem then in that case there might be some other issue such as hardware failure, dead BIOS etc. you can troubleshoot these issue by contacting your manufacturer.

Thanks for providing me the solution. I have contacted the manufacturer of my system and the booting issue was fixed. They just replaced the CMOS battery and the booting was started. My system booted and it was giving excellent performance. I want a solution describing the steps to determine when the CMOS battery is dead.

You can determine whether the CMOS battery is dead. To determine dead CMOS battery you need to check out the things given below:
    1. When the CMOS battery is dead or dying then your system will take long time to boot up. Sometimes due to bad CMOS battery you may be fail to boot up.
    2. If the time and date settings in your operating system changes with the past time and date then we can make sure that the CMOS battery is having some fault.
    3. When you can’t find any of the system information then there is a chance of CMOS battery is dead.
    4. Due to failed CMOS battery you may also receive some of the error messages such as Error 201 which means “System Configuration Lost error”.