Thread: Troubleshooting error code 39 on Windows XP

Troubleshooting error code 39 on Windows XP

I was having Microsoft windows XP operating system installed on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. My AVG antivirus and all the drivers were up to date and there was no problem. Last night while surfing across the internet, I was facing problem and my system was rebooting again and again. I getting error code 39 which resembles cdrom.sys have been corrupted. I need a solution for fixing this problem so that my system goes long without any problem. Also I want to know if there is some software available through which I can fix this problem.

Re: Troubleshooting error code 39 on Windows XP

If you are using CD-ROM, then it should be correctly installed in your system. Also you need to get the corresponding driver for it. If the CD-ROM or the driver is not installed properly then it may cause certain issues. If you are getting error code 39 then you can manually fix it. To fix the cdrom.sys error you need to delete all the cdrom.sys related process, delete associated DLL files and also remove the .ink files. Also you need to go into the windows registry by typing “regedit” command in the run windows and pressing the enter key. In the windows registry, browse to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_CURRENT_USER and delete all files from it. Restart the system, install the CD-ROM and its drivers and the problem of error code 39 will be solved.

If you are getting cdrom.sys error then you can fix it very easily. Go to the computer and select manage by right clicking it. In the Computer Management Window, click on the device manager to see list of devices connected to the system. Click on the devices and select properties. If there is a problem with the devices then it will display it. Click on the driver tab to uninstall it. After uninstalling the driver restart the system. When the system starts reinstall the driver and check if the problem exits again.

Thanks for providing me the solution for fixing the error code 39. From the above given solution, I have fixed the error code 39 in my system and the problem was solved. After fixing the error code 39 I am facing the problem while reading the disk. When I insert the disk, my CD-ROM doesn’t read. I need a solution for fixing the error code 39.

If the CD-ROM and all the corresponding drivers are installed correctly then it may not cause any problem for your system, if there is installation problem then you may face problem. If the CD-ROM is not reading the disk then you need to check the disk. Make sure that there is no finger print or scratch on the disk which you have inserted. If the disk inserted contains then the CD-ROM will not read it. Also you need to make sure that the disk you have inserted into the CD-ROM is not a DVD. CD-ROM reads only CD and not DVD.

If the CD-ROM is missing then you might get the error code 39. You can solve this error code 39 of CD-ROM very easily by making use of windows registry. You need to follow the steps given below:
    1. Click on the start button from the desktop and select run window.
    2. In the run window type “REGEDIT” and press the enter key. Locate the upper filter value in the registry and find the corresponding entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. You need to delete this entry, to delete it click on the edit menu and then select delete. The selected entry will be deleted.
    4. In the lower filter search for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete it.
    5. After deleting corresponding entry from the upper and lower filter you need to reinstall the CD-ROM again and install its corresponding software.
    6. After installing reboot the system and the problem will be solved.