Thread: How to install Microsoft Silverlight without Administrative privileges?

How to install Microsoft Silverlight without Administrative privileges?

Well I want to know the way by which I can have the Silverlight installed here and that too when I do not have the Administrative Privileges with me. I think that I have made my query a little short. Well here it is what I want to have here. Actually I want to have the Silverlight installed on the networked computer so that I can have the Sky player playing at my college. Well the thing is that when I try to go with the installation of the Silverlight by clicking on the .exe file I have seen that it is asking the Administrative Password and I really cannot help that. However when I try to proceed after this I have seen that the Silverlight comes up saying that Install Now and when I try to go with the installation I have seen that it asks for the privileges of the Administrative. Can you all here please help me with this; I really do not know what can be done here.

Re: How to install Microsoft Silverlight without Administrative privileges?

Well I do not think that you will be able to have the Microsoft Silvferlight for you if you do not have the Administrative Privileges or if you do not have the password for the same and hence I think that it will be great if you can have this for you here. Also I just want to ask you a question why are you trying to install this thing on an unprotected Computer Network. Please let me know about this in your next post and let me know if you were able to have the password or the privileges for you.

Well I had come across a similar post here and I have seen that the user was asking for the Silverlight plugin to be installed on the Firefox and the user was telling that there is an .xpi extension for the Flash so that can be installed on the Firefox then let me repeat the same thing here that I suggested that user. Well for having the things like Silverlight you need to have the administrative privileges and I really think that if you do not have the privileges then you are going to be disappointed always.

Let me tell you all here that Silverlight is basically a influential development platform. It is used for generating engaging, interactive applications. The applications that are made with the Silverlight are used for many screens that are present across the Web, desktop, and mobile devices. So basically I just want to say that it is a very powerful program and if you want to have this on your side then you will be required to have this in a proper way and hence I think that you will have to make use of the Administrative Privileges. Please let me know if that helped.

Well if you have the Administrative privileges or the password then let me tell you that you will not be able to have this if you are not having the proper browser and the compatible operating system and here it is: if the operating system is Windows Server 2003, Windows XP SP2, SP3 then you can use the Internet Explorer 8 also you can have the Windows 7 and Windows Vista as well with this browser. The same is with the Google Chrome. If you are having the Firefox then you can use the same for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003, Windows XP SP2, SP3. Please see all this and let me know if you were successful with this.

Well if you have the Administrative privileges or the password then let me tell you that you will not be able to have this if you are not having the proper browser and the compatible operating system and here it is: if the operating system is Windows Server 2003, Windows XP SP2, SP3 then you can use the Internet Explorer 8 also you can have the Windows 7 and Windows Vista as well with this browser. The same is with the Google Chrome. If you are having the Firefox then you can use the same for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003, Windows XP SP2, SP3. Please see all this and let me know if you were successful with this. I will be happy if that really works in your case there.

Hi Everyone, I realize this is an old post but I found a solution to this problem. I had this same problem and googled which came up with this page so I figured I would post the solution.

Step 1: Download the latest Silverlight SDK from Microsoft.com (version 4 is the latest at the moment)

Step 2: Download and open 7-zip portable from HERE. Portable allows you to use 7-zip without admin rights.

Step 3: In 7-zip highlight silverlight_sdk.exe then click file open inside.

Step 4: Then you will see the file "silverlight_sdk.cab". Highlight by clicking once then goto file open inside.

Step 5: Extract all files from the list below to a new folder on your desktop.

agcore.DLL
    coreclr.DLL
    microsoft.visualbasic.DLL
    mscorlib.DLL
    mscorrc.DLL
    npctrl.DLL
    NPCTRLUI.DLL
    slr.dll.managed_manifest
    system.core.DLL
    system.DLL
    system.net.DLL
    system.runtime.serialization.DLL
    system.servicemodel.DLL
    system.servicemodel.web.DLL
    system.windows.browser.DLL
    System.Windows.DLL
    system.xml.DLL

Step 6: Goto start- run and type %appdata% then open Mozilla folder and if there is not a folder called plugins then create one inside Mozilla folder.

Step 7: copy all those .dll files from where you extracted them and copy to the plugins folder inside Mozilla folder. Restart firefox and your done. Enjoy!

All credit goes to Matthijs.

Link for
    7-Zip Portable: HERE

Silverlight SDK.exe file: HERE

I get an error message that 7-zip is unable to open silverlight_sdk.cab

any ideas?

can anyone extract this .cab?