Thread: Got error - 0x80070020 while taking backup from Windows 7 64 bit

Got error - 0x80070020 while taking backup from Windows 7 64 bit

I got an unusual error on my system while taking backup from my system. Actually I was trying to take the complete backup of some images and during this process it gave me an error saying that error occurred 0x80070020 and the process cannot access the file because it is being used by any other process. I don't know what’s wrong with it and I am also not able to understand the error that I am getting. Does anyone ever have got such kind of error if yes then please help me to fix this problem.

Re: Got error - 0x80070020 while taking backup from Windows 7 64 bit

I think you must have opened that particular image and that is the reason why it is saying you that the image used by any other process. So what you have to do here is that close the window which you have opened to view the images. Also keep one thing in mind that if any image or a file is open or active in process then it is definitely hard to take backup. I hope that this information will help you to solve your issue.

I guess there is some kind of problem with the system that you are using and to get rid of it you have to follow the bellow mentioned steps:
    • First of all you have to just go to start and then select the all program option and then accessories and right click on the command prompt option and then click RUN
    • Then you have to just type “sfc /scannow “this command in the command prompt and then press enter.
    • After that the system scan will begin, keep tight don’t do anything else because the scan will take some time to complete.
    • After that any files require a replacement then the SFC will replace them easily.
    • And the problem is solved. But in case it will also ask you the Windows 7 CD for the further continuation of program then you have to just insert the file without fail.
    • I am sure that doing this will definitely help you to solve the problem.

Have you ever tried the backup in the safe mode if not then just try it. I think it will work. So what you have to doing this case is just that run the system in safe mode and then just take the back up of the file which you want. I was also trapped in the same problem few days back but accomplished the task in the safe mode and I guess you are also in the same phase so why don’t you try to do something similar to this.

Thank you for answering my queries but the thing here is that I am still facing the same problem and haven’t taken the backup of the file that I need. I tried to scan the system and also tried to take the back up in the safe mode but nothing work. Please let me know any other way that will help me to get the backup. Also do it as soon as possible because it has frustrated me a lot.

TechMan1975 Guest

Hi,

The Windows Backup 0x80070020 error is a sharing violation error, there is a file or files that have open handles to another process or processes that are locking the file or files from being copied by backup.
    someone I helped with this error had the issue with his C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat file.
    I had to use Process Monitor (Google search it) to find out which file was actually locked. The only way I managed to resolve it was to create a selective backup to exclude the C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies folder with that persons permission.
    Just a note that it might not be that file that is locked, it could be any other file being backed up.
    The Process Monitor filters I used were:
    Command Line contains C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k SDRSVC
    Result is SHARING VIOLATION

I'm also running Win 7 64 but just now starting to get the same error you mentioned, 0x80070020, when doing backups.

What worked for me was changing to a new drive with no MS backups on it, or just delete them, if you have them and no longer need them (both the backup and image directory).

Now simply set the new drive as the destination for your backups and that should do it (at least it worked for me).

You'll probably encounter the same error again but the repeat the above steps using perhaps the original drive as the new drive, after deleting any previous backups (backups plus image).

You'll probably have to keep doing this, jumping back and forth between drives, until Microsoft apparently fixes the problem, considered to a corrupted backup (possibly due to file sharing violation?) that it can't recover from.

You also might want to check if you have multiple log-ins to the same server from different computers. Some servers or maybe MS backup itself does not permit access under such circumstances (don't know, but still experimenting).

It can be due to bad sectors in your drive. I had faced this before when I try to backup my file in a separate partition. Due to bad sectors the back failed. There are certain troubleshooting tips that can help you.
    • Run chkdsk. You will need to reboot your system to run this.
    • Run updated drivers in your system. Old drivers are not much stable.
    • Any recent changes made by you or Windows Update can result this error.
    • Run sfc /scannow from Windows disk. It scans your system files and ensure that all are proper.