Thread: Cannot boot after moving vista HDD into older computer

Cannot boot after moving vista HDD into older computer

Motherboard for my computer is crashed and therefore I removed the HDD from that and was trying to that HDD on my old computer. I am confused in the settings for the jumpers. I am not able to boot this properly. If I booted that anyhow then it shows me many error message when I try to shut it down. The hard drive is WD3200aaks and it has vista home premium OS. My old computer is compaq SR1303WM. Is there anyone who can guide me in right direction? I will appreciate all the replies. Thank you very much in advance for your replies.

Re: Cannot boot after moving vista HDD into older computer

As you told that the motherboard is crashed, so it may be possible that your hard drive is also got crashed along with that. If you want to check that then you can connect the hard drive to any other computer and see whether it is getting booted there properly. If it is showing the same problem there also then it will confirm that your hard drive is crashed and you should not connect that your computer. I am saying this to you because it can crash your other motherboard also.

Windows Vista that is there on your HDD may be corrupted and that is why you are not able to boot that properly. My suggestion to you is to do a complete install of the operating system again. Take the bootable Vista CD and boot your computer from that. Install Windows vista again and this will solve the problem for you. but remember that it will remove all the installed file from the HDD.

There may be problem with the connection of the hard drive and that is why you are getting the problems like this. Shut down your computer and remove the connection of the hard drive and connect that again. Make sure that connection is proper and tight. You can try to use a new connecting cable to connect that. You will get it very easily on any hardware shop and it will not cost you much.