Thread: My volume control slider moves down by itself and lastly goes off in Windows 7

My volume control slider moves down by itself and lastly goes off in Windows 7

I have installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on my system. And after that I have faced the problem of Volume Slider that it moves automatically. To solve this issue I have tried after rolling back all the volume drivers, and I have installed latest versions. Stopping the windows, windows update, everything that I have tried failed to solve the problem, after searching on the sites I found that there are many people having the same issue? So please if you have solution then send it to me……please help

Re: My volume control slider moves down by itself and lastly goes off in Windows 7

I will suggest you to follow the following simple method to solve the issue. Before going for the steps you should ensure that Windows Audio application is set to automatic. And then follow the steps.
    1. Select the start button and click on the search option.
    2. Enter the services.msc in the search box.
    3. And then look for the services.
    4. The move your cursor to the service and Right click on it.
    5. Start the services if it is stopped.
    6. And in order to run the service right click and choose Properties
    7. Enter Select Automatic in Start-up.

After that restart your system and see the result. Hope this will resolve your issue.

Re: My volume control slider moves down by itself and lastly goes off in Windows 7

I will suggest you to try to solve the issues by running the System File Checker. Start the SFC and scan on the whole computer to solve the system file errors on the system.And to start the SFC scan, you have to open the prominent Command Prompt and follow the following steps:
    Select the Start button > Select All Programs > and then select the Accessories and right-click on CMD> and then select to run as Administrator > Type password if asked or make allow and continue > after that in the CMD enter sfc or scannow and hit the enter button.
    After that restart your system and see whether the problem is still there or resolved. And after that reply the result. Good luck

As you have said that your volume control slide bar is automatically increasing the volume. This situation may arise due to the effect of virus or malware. So I will suggest you to install a latest antivirus with license and update it with the latest update available on its website and then scan your whole computer and after completing if you found the virus take appropriate action to remove and repair that virus and file respectively. Or you have a choice to run the online scanner find the malware.

ThumbsUp Re: My volume control slider moves down by itself and lastly goes off in Windows 7

I had this same problem
    AFTER I reset Internet Explorer 7 to Factory Defaults
    &
    AFTER I removed and then reinstalled Adobe Flash Player.

What caused it? Dunno. BUT ...

Here's what fixed it:
    I'm using a Logitech Wireless USB headset/mic combo. The transceiver was plugged into the USB port the whole time I was resetting/reinstalling stuff.

After looking into all the "easy" fixes mentioned elsewhere on the Internet and discovering that none of them solved my problem, I went back to Basic Troubleshooting 101:
    I unplugged the USB transceiver.
    That worked 100%.
    WHY?
    Dunno.
    Also, All was good when I plugged the USB Headset/Mic back in.
    Go figure.

BTW ... since my PC apparently became "confused" by my actions, it also was affecting my PC's speakers identically: the volume control would automatcially slide down to ZERO. (Win XP Pro)

So, maybe someone more tech-savvy than me can explain the WHY.

Hello Mr. Miyagi,

I have seen a same kind of behavior as part of a "noise-reduction" or "echo-cancellation" feature with a microphone. Therefore, I would like you to check your audio settings and make sure you didn't turn on something like that. Also, if you have selected "stereo-mixer" as your mic source then it will record the audio, which might be considered noise, thus it is decreasing the volume.

star Re: My volume control slider moves down by itself and lastly goes off in Windows 7

I joined this community just so I could thank you. This is exactly what the problem was for me and I suspect that it's the same for many others.

It's insane the number of people who took the time to respond to similar questions on other forums with the most unhelpful suggestions (turn the volume up on your speakers for example -- that could be the reason there's no sound but doesn't explain away the sliding volume control). There were recommendations to get a different mouse, clean your keyboard, scan for viruses, etc -- some even suggested reformatting the hard drive. Glad I kept looking. And thank you!!!

unsure Re: My volume control slider moves down by itself

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    I had this same problem
    AFTER I reset Internet Explorer 7 to Factory Defaults
    &
    AFTER I removed and then reinstalled Adobe Flash Player.

What caused it? Dunno. BUT ...

Here's what fixed it:
    I'm using a Logitech Wireless USB headset/mic combo. The transceiver was plugged into the USB port the whole time I was resetting/reinstalling stuff.

After looking into all the "easy" fixes mentioned elsewhere on the Internet and discovering that none of them solved my problem, I went back to Basic Troubleshooting 101:
    I unplugged the USB transceiver.
    That worked 100%.
    WHY?
    Dunno.
    Also, All was good when I plugged the USB Headset/Mic back in.
    Go figure.

BTW ... since my PC apparently became "confused" by my actions, it also was affecting my PC's speakers identically: the volume control would automatcially slide down to ZERO. (Win XP Pro)

So, maybe someone more tech-savvy than me can explain the WHY.
    I have the same problem with the volume slider and scrollbar in startmeny. I have a Logitech cordless usb mouse. When i unplugg and use the pad on the laptop everything suddenly is ok...and i ask the same...WHY ??

I have tried un plugging and replugging my logitect USB wireless mouse
    It did not work Nothing seems to have Win xp
    have simple old ibm (tactile click) keyboard. no stuck keys so for as I can tell
    Any other ideas

I just found my answer
    (was old post online that suggested something similar)
    I unplugged my Plantronics USB headset and it solved the problem (have not tried replugging) but the suggestion was that some volume control on the headset device was stuck and over riding which seems like was the case !!