Thread: HP PSC 500 All-In-One scanner unable to recognize by the Windows 7

HP PSC 500 All-In-One scanner unable to recognize by the Windows 7

Hello friends, I have an older HP PSC 500 printer-scanner-copier the parallel-port type- that works absolutely well for my requirements. I have newly upgraded it to the Windows 7 of 64 bit. The printer works very well but the Windows 7 unable to see the scanner part of the PSC 500, it seems to me that it's not attached to the system. I immediately contact the HP support, they provided me the download and the installed link but it helped me nothing. On the very same system, I had also installed and upgraded the Windows Vista 64 on dual boot but on Vista OS the case is different, both the printer and the scanner work absolutely fine. So I am sure that it is not the hardware or the BIOS problem. I want to know how to make Windows 7 to identify the HP PSC 500 scanner. I had also checked the settings of the parallel port but they are exactly the same in Windows 7 as in Vista. The scanner is unable to detect by the Windows 7 OS. Please help what can I do?

Re: HP PSC 500 All-In-One scanner unable to recognize by the Windows 7

When we connect the printer or scanner to the computer, Windows 7 automatically detects the hardware and installs the correct driver respectively. A notification is displayed when the installation begins and also when it is completed. We does not need to download any software or no need to insert the product CD. Follow these steps to install and configure the basic driver in Windows 7 Operating system: 1) initially turn on the product. 2) After that Link the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable to the printer, and then to the computer system 3) Now the devices is prepared to use window, it might get displayed on the screen. If the window displays and it does not close automatically then click to the Close, option to exit the window.

Follow these steps to configure the Windows Update to automatically search for drivers and also install a product driver: 1) first click on to the Start menu on the taskbar, now in to the Search program and the file box type change device installation. 2) After that click on to the change device installation settings, after clicking the system will open change device installation window. 3) In that if it is not selected choose Yes option do this automatically (recommended) and save the changes and apply the settings. Also note that Windows 7 will display you the message to restart the system. Make sure that you bookmark this page so that you can rapidly access again. Hope this will help you.

Windows 7 has recognized your printer as well as the scanner, but due to some connection type it possibly unable to recognize the scanner. To validate this please do the following steps: click on to the Start button of the desktop, in the search box type Camera and hit the enter you will have the list, from the list click View scanners and cameras option. If Windows 7 recognizes your scanner then it will be displayed on to the list and if it does not show up here then you will not be able to use your scanner. If your solution works please let me know.

If your computer system comes with an incorporated parallel port, the best would be to attach your PSC 500 to it, make sure to select "bidirectional mode" for the parallel port in the BIOS. This is what I had previously and the device worked flawlessly well under Vista, even though under Windows 7 only the printer works. I don't believe you should have difficulty in making the devices just print. However scanning is something else, and I have still not been able to make Windows 7 to see the scanner yet.