Thread: Cannot delete MP4 files

Cannot delete MP4 files

Hi all, I am using the Windows XP pro operating system on my computer. My younger brother has downloaded some music files (MP4) from some website and that is stored in my computer. I want to delete those file from my computer but I cannot delete those files. If I delete other files then it can be deleted without any problem. Please tell me that how can I remove that? Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Cannot delete MP4 files

There is a software on internet that is called Unlocker. This is available for free and can be downloaded easily. It’s a small file. Download and install it on your computer. After installing that if you click right click on any file or folder then you will get one more option as unlocker. Right click on the file that is not getting deleted and select that option. This will open a new window and you will see a drop down list. Select delete from that and press OK. This will delete the file from it.

If you are not able to delete that file in normal mode then you can try to delete that in safe mode. Reboot your computer and keep on pressing F8 button. This will open a new screen with one of the options as safe mode. Select that option press Enter. This will start computer in safe mode. Delete the files that you want and start the computer in normal mode.

The files that you are trying to delete may be right protected and that is why you are not able to delete that file. Right click on that file and select the properties from that. In general tab, you will see the checkbox for read only. Make sure that it is not checked. If it is checked then uncheck that and save that. Now try to delete that and it will get deleted this time.

You can try to follow the steps below and this will help you to delete the files that cannot be deleted normally.
    1. First of all you have to open command prompt and keep that open.
    2. Close all the programs that are opened.
    3. Click on start > Run and type TASKMGR.EXE.
    4. Open the process tab and search for the process explorer.exe and end that process.
    5. Keep the task manager opened.
    6. Again go back to command prompt and go to the file that cannot be deleted.
    7. Now you have to type DEL for the file that you want to delete.
    8. Now go to task manager window and select new task.
    9. Type explorer in that and press enter.
    10. Close the task manager.
    11. Close the command prompt.

Here is the simplest way to delete the file that you want. You just have to open the command prompt. To do that, go to start and press Run. There you have to type cmd and press enter. This will open the command prompt. Now you have to go to the directory that contains your mp4 file. Now you have to type “erase filename.ext” without quotes and this will remove the file directly from your computer without moving it to the recycle bin.

Of ALL the instructions listed here on how to Delete .mp4 files - these were the easiest and most straight forward. Following these 'exactly as stated' were the only instructions that worked. Thank you for the help - these files have annoyed me for months.

Quote Originally Posted by windows_user View Post
    You can try to follow the steps below and this will help you to delete the files that cannot be deleted normally.
    1. First of all you have to open command prompt and keep that open.
    2. Close all the programs that are opened.
    3. Click on start > Run and type TASKMGR.EXE.
    4. Open the process tab and search for the process explorer.exe and end that process.
    5. Keep the task manager opened.
    6. Again go back to command prompt and go to the file that cannot be deleted.
    7. Now you have to type DEL for the file that you want to delete.
    8. Now go to task manager window and select new task.
    9. Type explorer in that and press enter.
    10. Close the task manager.
    11. Close the command prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhankana_n View Post
    There is a software on internet that is called Unlocker. This is available for free and can be downloaded easily..
    I am using windows xp professional and this solution worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!