Thread: Why is Windows 7 so slow in copying network files?

Why is Windows 7 so slow in copying network files?

Hi guys, I don’t understand why does this network file is slow in windows 7 also, Copying files in Vista was terrible and I thought this will get fixed in Windows 7 but it won’t. . However, there is very slight development if any at all. For instance, I am copying 15GB of files from one computer to another on my home network. The computers are linked to the similar hub and sitting right next to each other. It's taken 25 minutes to copy 15GB of files. In Windows XP this would have been a minute. This type of function should not take so long! How does one repair this?

Re: Why is Windows 7 so slow in copying network files?

I would like to first recommend you to update the network card driver and also execute the Windows Update to install all the important updates first. If it does not work then I also would like to recommend you to disable the automatic adjustment for the TCP window size on the network to verify the problem:

1. First click to the Start menu, in that choose the All Programs menu, and then select the Accessories option in it.
    2. In the Accessories right-click on to the Command Prompt, and then select the Run as Administrator options. If you it display the message for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your correct password, or click to the continue button.
    3. Now open the command prompt and at the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: netsh interface tcp set global utotuninglevel=disabled
    4. After it Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the system. Hope it will help to work faster.

You may verify if there is any firmware update for your hub. In addition, I also would like to recommend you to disable IPv6 and carry out the following steps to verify the problem; Configure the network card: Firstly click on to the Start button, in that select the search box, in the search box type “devmgmt.msc”. Note: without any quotation mark, expand the Network Adapter by double clicking it, in that select and right click on to the network card and then select the properties, you will different tabs from that select the Advance tab. If you want to access the full functionality then just set the value to the highest full and then lastly click OK. this will somewhat help you out from the issue.

I saw into the another forum that disabling the Remote Differential Compression may also affect the copy speed confidently. I will recommend you to try it and check whether it works. Here is the steps to disable the Remote Differential Compression: Initially click to the Start menu, from that go to the control panel, in that select the programs and features, now click Turn Windows features on or off, and then Uncheck Remote Differential Compression. After it better restart the system. Also One last suggestion to mind that on Windows use chkdsk /f /r and then see if the disk is working properly or not.

Yes, disable IPV6, it sometimes slows down file transfers especially if you have systems with both XP and 7/Vista on the same network.
    Also
    1. check the health of the destination and source hard drives so that there are no hardware problems.
    2. Defrag the source and destination drives. File fragmentation can also have an effect on file read/write operations.

Lastly, I am a bit puzzled..how did you ever get to copy 25 GB of files in '1 minute' in XP??!!