Thread: Maxtor One Touch Unable to Recognize With Windows 7

Maxtor One Touch Unable to Recognize With Windows 7

Hi to all, Maxtor One touch external drive, this drive works perfectly with Window XP, but is not recognized at all by Windows 7 64 bit. I had previously worked with it in windows XP. It does show up in the Device Manager as well as in the Disk Management, but I can't initialize it. At first gave me an error message when tried to initialize; now it's turned grey and I can't even try to perform the action as well. I also tried to power the drive, also tried shutting down and restarting the system. I do get a strike when I connect the USB. Works fine with Windows XP, so I'm sure the problem is not the drive itself. Any help please...

Re: Maxtor One Touch Unable to Recognize With Windows 7

I was also having the similar difficulty with a One Touch USB. When I first linked it to my Windows 7 Computer, it was recognized with no problem. After transferring files from the drive to my system, my system goes blue screened after some minutes. When I restarted, I could not access the drive any more, even though it was confirmed to be working fine in Device Manager. I tried to allocate it a Drive Letter in Disk Management, but it wouldn't allow me to strangely. What fixed my problem for me was there in the Device Manager I went to the option of the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". Under that I noticed the "Generic USB Device”, What I did is, I then uninstalled "Generic USB Device". Unplugged the One Touch and then plugged it back in and I was browse to it with no troubles! Hope this helps.

I had also fixed this problem with more simplicity and it just gets it working. What I tried is I to eliminate or disable my security settings on the One Touch II drive by connecting it to my old Computer system. Then I attached the drive to my new Windows 7 PC and it immediately recognized the One Touch drive. Such a simple solution! If any problem persist then I will suggest you to also upgrade the Motherboard driver and Chipset driver.

Try to perform this steps, I had found it in the Maxtor manual: 1) what you do is connect the Maxtor Drive to any of the computer having the previous OS. 2) After it Right click on the Maxtor Drive icon and select Open. 3) You will have the Main Menu with 3 available Options to choose from it 4) from that three options select the Security Settings option; it will display the message saying “Scanning for attached drive settings”. 5) You have a option among Change Password or Disable Security, from that select the choose disable security. 6) Make sure you know your old Password for your Maxtor drive that you put when you used the drive on your original computer for the reason that you will be encouraged to enter your old password. 7) After that click the Apply button after entering the old password.