Thread: Upgrading to snow leopard operating system diminishes battery life

Upgrading to snow leopard operating system diminishes battery life

I have recently upgraded my operating system to snow leopard 10.6. Like many apple users i too can claim to be the one affected by the upgradation. Now what the real concern is that when i was using leopard as the operating system it had a good battery life. The battery health rate could be anywhere around 96-98%. This is when i was using leopard. Now recently i upgraded the operating system and the battery life has seemed to be diminished. The battery it seems is draining continuously. Whenever i get a full battery charge done then also the system shows only two hours of battery left. The battery health rate sounds good to me. It is showing me at around 89%. Now what can be the issue. The battery just keeps on diminishing even if i keep the wifi off or turn the screen off. Now give me some solution what should i do.

Re: Upgrading to snow leopard operating system diminishes battery life

I would really advice you to have a check with the battery. The battery may be having the issue with the new operating system . Just try testing the battery and you will get to know that what is the performance of the battery.Try replacing the battery with a new set. Probably it will help you. Just try with this solution. It is not necessary that whenever you upgrade a operating system and you have a descending battery life. So i think replacing the batter is the correct option from my view.

I think that you must try try uninstalling the battery driver. If you are being showing the battery say around 40% and the computer just gets into the hibernate mode without your response. Then you must try replacing the battery driver. Just try uninstalling the driver, reboot the system, installing it again and again reboot the system. After re-installing the driver keep it updated with the various update's available in the internet. Just try this solution and let me know if it works.

I have tried with the following solutions but it has not produced any desired result yet. This is because my battery really worked fine with the earlier operating system and there was really no issue with it. I am a mac book user and i know the condition of the battery. Just some time ago i had replaced my old set of batter with a new set. So i don't think so the battery must have gone old and it is giving such issue's. Any other solution that you think it will help me because a lot of my colleagues are experiencing the same issue's. Anyways thanks for your suggestions and keep me updated.

If the above given solution is not working for you then you must probably need to know some more information of the battery. Try recallebrating your battery.
    You have to perform this when you first start with your computer and probably must repeat it every month. By doing this it will keep the onscreen battery screen time and the percentage display accurate. Then you must try resetting the PRAM(parameter RAM) and NVRAM(NonVolatile RAM). Resetting them must surely give you the desired result. If it does not retain the parameter ram settings when they are turned off then it is a indication that it is time to replace the battery. Try resetting the SMC i.e. System Management Controller. Open the system in the safe boot mode. When you are in the safe boot mode start with the trouble shooting option. The safe boot mode is the best method to start with he trouble shooting.

I would recommend you to boot the system into 64 bit. Many of my friends have solved this problem by booting into 64 bit operating system. If you don't have the necessary software for the 32 bit extension then you can probably try restarting the system and holding down the 6 and the 4 keys simultaneously. Just try booting into 64 bit mode and it will solve the problem. Just give it a try and it will help you.

Even i have a small suggestion for you. Sometimes there can be only warnings showing that the power is going low, flickering in your screen. These problem can be removed by changing the power management setting. The power management property decides whether the system will be running on the battery, ups, AC power etc. So removing the file named com.apple.PowerManagement.plist which is found in the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder. Removing this file does not cause any harm but it will temporarily remove the warnings in the battery system menu.