Thread: Mirrored volumes repeatedly resynching

Mirrored volumes repeatedly resynching

I have recently installed the Windows 7 on my HP HDX 18 laptop and from two weeks it was working properly. It has two identical WD 500 GB drives which are new. I do not consider that I am doing anything particularly clever here. I installed Windows onto one drives. After the install finished, I transformed each of the drives to be dynamic and then set up the mirroring. The drives are configured with three volumes:
    Volume 1: 100Mb System reserved
    Volume 2: 248Gb C: drive
    Volume 3: 50Gb F: drive
    Once this was occupied I left the machine unaccompanied for an hour or two in anticipation of the mirroring finished and the disks showed as being healthy.At the moment, Windows 7 doesn't come with all the necessary drivers for this laptop so I have to go to the HP website, download and install the drivers manually.The trouble seems to be that every time I install a driver that requires a reboot this seems to cause the mirrored C: drive to get out of sync. As a result when the machine after that boots up both drives show up in the windows disk management tool through an alert symbol against them. As a result I then end up not being capable to do very much for the next hour or so while it resynchronizes. Finally the drives show as being healthy again. I have not got as far as installing any helpful software but if this is what I will end up having to put up with to have mirrored volumes I might as well not bother - it's just too much pain. I would rather get properly organized and schedule overnight backups. Has anybody got any suggestion why this is happening and if Windows 7 creates any logs somewhere that might indicate why I am having to put up with all this nonsense? I have used software RAID within Ubuntu on this laptop before and it was never this difficult - it just worked.

Re: Mirrored volumes repeatedly resynching

Software RAID has always been a major subject regarding the disk I/O and synching matters. With no a devoted controller to do the work, the Operating System is forced to do way more than it have to. Use an external drive with the built-in System Image function the logs occasionally. Add to that an offsite backup of irreplaceable data and you are about as covered as you can be.

Hey friends thanks for your reply over here. Actually here I want to know that which driver recently you are using at the time of this things happen. If it is a chipset, IDE, SATA, or a driver of that surroundings the system may be rebuilding the raid due to the original controllers. Does this occur along with non controller drivers, in example network or video drivers? Does this occur when you install other programs? If the drivers are not constructing for Windows 7 this is because of then you can say that it is happening due to that. If this is happening along with all drivers, I would lean toward this being a hardware subject and your current controller that you are making use of. As such you should contact HP on possible solutions to this software raid matter.

I got to the phase where I would installed the non-offending drivers. I then ran windows update and installed many updates for this. Surprise after the reboot it started resyncing another time. Clearly there is somewhat here with the way that software raid is implemented and I am not able to trust it not to resync the disk every time some new bit of software or update is installed. I am now resolved to using non-dynamic disks and will be buying a NAS and doing my backups much more frequently.