Thread: Devcon not working properly in Windows 7

Devcon not working properly in Windows 7

I use Devcon to manage my devices; it's a little .exe file. With the command: devcon /hwids, the program returns the entire the devices linked with the computer. But when I do this, it open a new window, print the list, after that this window close. But what should usually occur, and what I need, is that the list print in the similar window I execute the command. by means of the aim, after, to write this list in a txt file, with the device.txt.along with that My Windows 7 does not notice COM ports automatically so I have to run the "Add new hardware wizard" through command prompt .However the difficulty is that I do not know how to pass the Base Address and IRQ. So please tell me how to resolve my problem.

Re: Devcon not working properly in Windows 7

You attempt to utilize a serial port with a normal serial communications program like the Software Wedge for Windows or HyperTerminal plus will not be able to acquire any data to move in or out the serial port. If you are sure that the serial port exists which you are connected to the accurate port on the back of your PC. You are as well sure that you have the right serial communications parameters chosen in the program that you are utilizing. You know that the cable you are utilizing is the right one for the device that you are trying to interface. A good test for all of the above is to try using a different serial port or even a different computer and if the whole thing works on the other port at that moment the issue may be that the serial port has been disabled in the BIOS setup for your PC.

To cure the problem you have to run the BIOS setup on your computer in addition to re-enable the disabled serial port using its default settings. If you will not be utilizing the modem at the similar time as the COM port so this advance will most likely work though it is not completely assured. To run the BIOS setup on most PC you click a key when the PC is booting up as well as a setup screen will show generally the DEL key, but most computers display a message on screen during the boot process doe example: "hit F1 to enter setup". The serial port settings are generally situated in the section labeled "Integrated Peripherals setup". Keep in mind to save the settings when you exit the BIOS setup.

Hey after doing some discussion I have now know how to utilize devcon.exe to disable/enable my WiFi adapter for that you have to first I DL'ed the “Windows Driver Kit (WDK) 7.1.0″ from Microsoft Software, it is an ISO image several hundred meg2. Utilizing UniversalExtractor.I extracted the ISO to a temporary folder on my HD.Again using Universal Extractor; I take out the install file to a temporary dir. In that temporary dir you will find devcon.exe.This devcon works well for me under W7x64 Pro.Along the way Universal Extractor will prompt you with a number of warnings, after that press OK.just keep in mind that devcon MUST be run from an administrator cmd win.

In a few PCs the BIOS setup permit you to choose the "Port Base Address" as well as IRQ value for every of the on-board serial ports. The easiest full answer to the question is to configure the disabled serial port to utilize a Port Base Address along with IRQ that does not clash with any other serial ports on the computer or the modem. For ex: if you might configure the port to behave as COM3 (base address 3E8) and utilize IRQ5, you remove the entire clashes with the other ports.

If you are not able to utilize either of the above explanation then the only choice left would be to enable the serial port in the BIOS setup after that either take out the modem from the system or set the jumpers on the modem to act as a non-conflicting port. Most modems that are not plug and play modems have jumpers especially for this reason. You may require contacting the producer of your modem or at least referring to the user’s manual for the modem to configure it properly for your system. In some cases the advice for the jumper settings are printed straight on the modem circuit board so you may not even require a manual.