Thread: Uninstall ubuntu from Windows 7

Uninstall ubuntu from Windows 7

I have got a desktop system , I use Windows 7 operating sytem. I bought it around one and half years back I, I have got a AMD Turion processor installed and a Asus motherboard l, 2 GB of RAM installed on the ASUS motherboard and 500 GB of hard disk space Kingston . I was an IT student and was interested in web development and programming, I had heard that Ubuntu from Linux was a good operating system that supports programming and web development, so along with the Windows 7 operating system , I had installed Ubuntu as well. Now I have completed my graduation. Since few days I think my system is lacking in performance , and I doubt that Ubuntu is eating up my resource , so I have made my mind to uninstall it and use only one operating system to boot my system instead of the dual boot system. So is there any way to uninstall the Ubuntu operating system from the Windows 7 operating system itself. Please let me know if you have any idea about it.

Re: Uninstall ubuntu from Windows 7

Well I can suggest you one way but I am not sure whether it is possible to do in each and every system. Lets see if it woks in yours or not, I will finish my job telling you the whole procedure. But let me remind you that all the steps you perform, prior to that you must possess administrative right. The procedure is quite simple you will have to delete the partition of the Ubuntu partition from the disk management. For that you will have to right click on the computer click on manage and open the disk management option, thenfrom there just delete the partition of the Ubuntu operating system. But here the problem is, not in all cases the partitions are visible to the normal users. So just play with your luck and check whether it works with you or not.

Well if you ask me , I think Ubuntu will never eat up your operating system , it is a lightweight operating system and will hardly affect your performance. You said that you used to use the ubuntu operating system for your programming purpose , It is not just meant for programming , it can be used as you use your Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating system. Let me tell you that it is a freeware and can be used for developing many web applications using the PHP language , without much expense. And you are demanding to remove it after booting the system into the Windows 7 operating system, I do not have any idea if uninstalling an operating system can also be done I that way.

Well there are two ways of doing it , one is already being said that is to remove its partition and the other way is to repair the master boot record.As far as removing the Ubuntu partitions is concerned, you will have to boot up to system with an Ubuntu live CD and do as pointed , Go to system , then go to Administration and in that you will be able to see partition Editor. There you will have to Delete and create new partitions. There is one more way to do it , you can also delete the Ubuntu partition using the resizing tool that is used to enlarge your Windows partition which you will later on capture the spaced used by the Ubuntu.

As far as removing the Ubuntu partitions is concerned, you will have to boot up to system with an Ubuntu live CD and do as pointed , Go to system , then go to Administration and in that you will be able to see partition Editor. There you will have to Delete and create new partitions. There is one more way to do it , you can also delete the Ubuntu partition using the resizing tool that is used to enlarge your Windows partition which you will later on capture the spaced used by the Ubuntu.

johntoyhurry Guest

First go to boot part of the Ubuntu system and insert its CD. When the process is starting and ask for repairing. Selct option don't repair and then remove all partition of the hard disk. After this remove the CD of Ubuntu and Insert CD of Windows 7 and install it. Thus you can uninstall ubuntu from Windows 7.
    Last edited by johntoyhurry; 08-12-2010 at 04:28 AM.

To repair the master boot record or MBR, follow the given instructions:
    • Reboot your system computer with the Windows 7 operating system after inserting the CD Rom,If you are asked to tap any key to start the system computer from CDROM, then do it as directed or it will not boot from the CD , but from the hard drive.
    • After some times, you will , you can press the R key which will open the Recovery Console.
    • In the Recovery Console starts, it will ask you to enter a number that corresponds to your windows 7 operating system . Press it and hit the Enter key.
    • After that it will ask you to enter the Administration password., you will not be able to continue further unless you enter the correct password.
    • If you do not enter the valid credentials , you will not be able to continue continue.
    • There in the command prompt of the Recovery Console, type the command fix mbr and proceed further then verify that you want to proceed.
    Last edited by Elieis; 08-12-2010 at 10:56 PM.