Thread: Windows 7: Printers Disappear from "Devices and Printers"

Windows 7: Printers Disappear from "Devices and Printers"

Hello friends, I work with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Frequently my printers vanish from devices and printers. The printers I have defined are the fax and XPS printers, my HP Premium Fax AIO and two PDF printers. I regularly notice this condition when I am in an urgency and go to print something from Word or Quicken or whatever and receive an error stating there are no printers defined. When I go to Devices and Printers, the devices are showing but the printers are not here. If I restart, the printers return. While, rebooting does correct the difficulty, it is very frustrating and causes loss of time. I was wondering if there might be an everlasting repair for this problem. Please help me!

Re: Windows 7: Printers Disappear from "Devices and Printers"

It seems to me that one of the printers process is corrupting the system, it may be the spoolsv.exe process memory. What you do is try to begin the Print Spooler service in Services.msc rather than that of the restarting. Verify for the most recent drivers from HP and IBM for the devices. If you have the Pro or ultimate then you can enable Print Driver Isolation using printmanagement.msc which will shift the print driver functions to a different process than spoolsv.exe and allow for additional drivers and the spooler service to continue further working.

First be sure that the print spooler service and the dependency service for print spooler services is set to automatic and started. To begin print spooler services and set it to automatic, follow the steps below. 1) First right click on to the Computers from that menu select the menu option. 2) Open the console; it will open from that pull down the Services menu and applications. 3) In that click on to the services. 4) After that double click on to the print Spooling Key. 5) You will have the tabs from tabs select the General tab, in that go to the start up type. 6) Set the value to Automatic, Manual or Disabled. 7) To enable or disable the print spooler service directly, click Stop or Start button. 8) click Apply to apply the settings and then restart computer.

I do also have the very same problem. I think that it may have something to perform while going into sleep mode but it does not take place each and every time the PC awakens. All of my printer and fax configurations vanish from the devices and printers. These both of them are of HP and Canon respectively. So this has nothing to do with specific device drivers. It has to do with all "Printer and Faxes" devices disappearing. The "devices" under "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers" do not go away. A restart clears the trouble but this is apparently a very frustrating problem.