Thread: Windows 7: Does not recognize the flash drives

Windows 7: Does not recognize the flash drives

Hello friends, I had just been installed the Windows 7 from the Vista operating system. The trouble in Windows 7 I get is I plug the USB flash drive in to the system; I am unable to see any of the content from the flash drive. But it get display in to the safely remove hardware box by the brand name and its size. Any how it is not recognized on to the system but on the device manager it displays as the unknown device under storage volumes, USB keyboard and Mouse are ok, Could use some advice. In windows XP it use to get detect easily but from when I had installed the Windows 7 it is creating the problem for the flash drive. Please help what can I do now? Thanks in advance

Re: Windows 7: Does not recognize the flash drives

Disconnect the flash drive and then restart the system. After that run the command: Logman start USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT -o USBForumTrace.etl -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128 3) from the command prompt. Also right click on to the short cut of the command prompt and then select the run as administrator. After that execute this command in the prompt: Logman update USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128 4). Rub your repro scenario also plug the flash drive, after that you will be having the repro of the problem run the another command in the command prompt: Logman stop USBForumTrace –ets. Now have a search on the USBForumTrace.etl. if it is now exist then you need to again install the USB drivers for the system. hope it may work some what. if you have the problem then inform back.

Make use of the drive cleanup utility, it had already solved my problem. you may perform this steps to do the safe cleanup and remove the old USB mass storage drivers on to the system:
    1) First shut down the system and then unplug the USB storage devices that is the USB disks, flash drive, cam, CD/DVD etc. and the other USB device like keyboard, mouse etc should remain plug in.
    2) Then after boot computers back up.
    3) Download the drivecleanup.zip from any of the web page by searching it on the google. Unzip it and save it on to the desktop. Move the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe to the hard drive C:\Windows\System32.
    4) Open the command prompt, for windows 7 open the elevated command prompt window.
    5) In the command prompt enter the keyword: drivecleanup.exe. if you get any error message then it means that you had not moved the Drivecleanup.exe to the correct directory
    6) Now re-plug your flash device for fresh clean device reinstalls. It worked for me.

I will suggest you to contact the OEM or the manufacturer of the motherboard, If it is the home built machine and get the most current chipset drivers for your motherboard. Once you solve the problem with the USB hub drivers then the Windows 7 will automatically recognize the external USB hard drive. Or the other thing you do is try to insert the other USB flash drive. If it get accessed then i think that your flash drive may have got corrupted.