Thread: how to navigate through multiple operating systems in a Macbook ?

how to navigate through multiple operating systems in a Macbook ?

I have got a Apple’s MacBook, which I take to my college usually, I use a Windows xp and my brother works on Snow Leopard operating systems, I do my project work and play games on my windows xp and my brother uses the leopard operating system for his official work, since I am using two operating system , and now I have heard that many people are running the beta version of bootcamp, but I do not like it and because it is pretty old one , so I wanted to ask about the screen that appears which lets you choose the operating system ?

Re: how to navigate through multiple operating systems in a Macbook ?

You just told that you were using the the windows operating system for your own use and your brother uses the Snow leopard operating system , if you are asking that you want your windows operating system to be booted first, then I do not think it is possible to do so. I can suggest you one way , you can install the windows xp operating system via Bootcamp and you have snowleopard already installed . then while booting up you will be asked about the operating system through which you want to boot.

Yes you can set the priority as per your requirement. My friend had a strange issue related to the multiple operating system he had installed in his operating system. Even after setting and installing the Windows xp via bootcamp, the macbook automatically booted to his Apple provided operating system without asking about th Windows operating system . I think you too might face the same issue.

I think I know why the Macbook you have could not boot through Windows operating system despite of installing the Windows operating system via Bootcamp . You said you do not use leopard but still have installed in your system, if you have the beta version of it(which is quite old ) might not have recognized Windows operating system , since this beta version is old and worked with Tiger, which has been disappeared a long time back . That is the reason the Boot selector was of no use in that and every time you restart your system , the Macbook will boot through SnowLeopard.

I have one definite solution for you issue , you can downloead and install a software called as BootPicker which is designed such way that will meet the requirement of you both users, i.e you and your brother, either of you can be the administrator of the operating system who will manage the deployment of the operating systems. This boot picker application will come up with an option that will ask the user to select the Operating system through which the user wants to boot , for that purpose the macbook’s settings which enables you or restricts you to boot to the operating system as per the configuration.