Thread: Booting issue with my hard drive

Booting issue with my hard drive

Recently, I am planning to upgrade a hard drive in a PC commencing from 80gb to 250gb. Take an image of the 80gb by means of ghost, and located it on a separation on the 250gb. At present neither disk determine to boot. Something crazy occurred by means of the extraction to the 250gb, when I boot in by means of ERD, I be able to observe the entire the folders, additional than they are empty. The 250gb would not boot at the entire, so I left it aside, went back to the original disk. When endeavoring to boot commencing this, I get pci.sys file missing or corrupt. So went in by means of RecCons and replaced the file, at present the boot immediately freezes on the first WinLogo screen. Tranquil booting in safe mode, it hangs on fltmgr.sys file. By no means come across this previous to. I ran the entire the usual diagnostics on the hard disk, and did an SFC from side to side RecCons etc. In addition had a give the impression of being at the entire boot files from side to side ERD, the whole thing looks in order. If anybody has encountered this previous to, your help would be to a great extent appreciated.

Re: Booting issue with my hard drive

The first thing to make sure for is whether or not the hard disk be able to be seen by the hard disk organizer; more often than not on a true hard disk failure, the disk determine to not be noticeable by the controller (additional than this is not constantly the case). Presumptuous you encompass an IDE hard disk, enter the BIOS setup program and utilize the IDE recognition capability of the BIOS to observe if the disk's parameters be able to be detected. If the disk not be able to be autodetected utilizing the autodetect characteristic in the BIOS program then you be supposed to continue here for additional troubleshooting of the disk and controller themselves. Breakdown to detect the disk frequently implies immediately a number of sort of hardware tribulations.

If you be able to observe the hard disk when you autodetect, the tribulations is additional likely to be software than hardware. Remember with the intention of you not be able to frequently boot a brand innovative hard disk until it has been separation and formatted. Observe if the disk determine to boot up. If it determines to not boot, then boot commencing a floppy boot disk and then utilize the FDISK command (or additional partitioning software) to observe if you be able to perceive the disk. If you be able to observe the drive, continue here. If the drive determines to boot up, then you be supposed to be receiving an additional specific error communication of some sort, or an additional specific failure mode by means of the intention of you be able to utilize for troubleshooting.

I am guessing you encompass two separate additional than related tribulations. First is the original drive. The simply method I be familiar by means of of that Ghost 2003 might affect the capability of the original drive to boot would be if the boot separation is no longer discernible active. This ocurrs if you clone to a innovative drive. The innovative drive is marked as active and by means of the intention of description is eliminated commencing the old. The second tribulations is by means of the 250GB drive. If the system BIOS is not 48 bit LBA accommodating or Windows XP original was in utilize on the old drive data corruption might be the result. Reconnect the 250GB by itself. Create certain the startup screens to authenticate the drive is appropriately identified by together the model and complete capability.

You be able to have encompassed the entire your drives first primary separation active additional than it’s merely the one listed in the bios as boot determines to boot. Merely inside Windows and utilizing disk management do you run into the circumstances of if you create one partition active does windows eliminate the active bit commencing an additional drive. First tribulations I observe here is a drive image position on a separation. You ghost partition to image or drive to representation. If the 250 disk is partitioned then the ghosting requirements to be separation to image. In view of the fact by means of the intention of these are ide drives most of them encompass the master/slave tribulations. A 80gig drive be able to encompass issues addressing a newer 250gig drive whereas the 250 be able to address the 80.

I thought regarding these tribulations and realized why I consideration what I did. I had Ghost 2003 and utilized it for a number of times previous to upgrading hardware to contain SATA hard drives. I had tribulations by means of Ghost freezing almost immediately subsequent to starting to create a partition image. I might not boot back in Windows XP subsequent to with the intention of it. I discovered with the intention of the boot separation on my SATA drive was no long noticeable as active. I ultimately exposed why this was occurring. The build I had did not sustain or maintain SATA drives. I obtain an to bring up to date to Ghost and at present it works by means of SATA drives. I not be able to observe several additional reason the old disk would not boot.