Thread: Mac OS X Snow Leopard and ExFAT

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and ExFAT

I presently originate somewhat attractive: ExFAT support in Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.4.I encompass a USB external hdd that I make use of by means of my Windows 7 PC that I as well desire on the way to make use of by means of my Macbook Pro. Can Snow Leopard read as well as write on the way to my external hdd if I format it by means of the exFAT file system? Thanks in advance for any valuable suggestion.

Re: Mac OS X Snow Leopard and ExFAT

Format it on the way to NTFS after that make use of MacFUSE as well as NTFS-3G toward create it read as well as write compatible by means of Snow Leopard.For 100% compatibility, I will strictly recommend to format the drive as FAT32. No additional software application required. On the other hand, no particular file be able to be bigger than 4GB. If this is not a trouble, go FAT32, or else NTFS+NTFS3G.

The exfat file arrangement permit one on a windows 7 computer on the way to read as well as copy files better than 4 GB to a drive that have be configure by means of the exfat file system is why it would be superior if the MAC operating system was capable on the way to read as well as write to a disk that was formatted exfat. As well I have by no means been able on the way to success write to an NTFS disk by means of my MAC system yet subsequent to downloading what was suggested above.

I am also having the accurate similar trouble by means of my september 2009 MacBook Pro. Has been occurring from the time when I bought, following a couple of restarts it would haphazardly move toward back by means of that error. This was by means of the stock hard drive as well as a new one I place in it. Apple checked it as well as they could not discover anything incorrect. I do not be familiar with where I put actually atm. The entire Apple mastermind bar employees were paying attention in was that Disk value fixed it. At what time you speak Spotlight was messing up, did it attempt as well as reconstruct the index each so often? That's what occurs on the way to mine. As well, this fault from time to time appear until I fix the drive.

Apparently a latest iMac requires a particular v10.6.4 assemble. If I bang in a sell disc that's elder I will end up by means of a Kernel Panic for the reason that it lack the essential drivers for this hardware. Things similar to that are accurate by means of the subsequently service update as well.
    Things that are set will from time to time build it near the beginning into the Mac OS X makes that ships by means of new hardware. Logical, for the reason that it assist them sell new hardware.The exFAT thing is strange despite the fact that.

I have on the way to state that is something I odium regarding Apple, they have as a result a lot of random somewhat updated versions of Mac OS X that just come out by means of precise hardware. Similar to at what time they started to come out by means of the fresh Power settings as well as track pad settings, they illustrate up on new hardware first after that later in a service update.

It would be element of the SDHC/etc usual - IIRC they standardized on exFAT as the certified file system designed for the measurement for this reason Apple had on the way to append it previous to people it expand market share or else if not you would end up having a circumstances of customers by means of hardware uncorroborated as well as Apple having on the way to play catch up. I doubt how a large amount it coasted Apple in provisions of licensing it off Microsoft - whether they previously have an recognized cross IP agreement stuck between the two.

Lysander, I believe the shortest and quickest answer is that Snow Leopard now supports exFAT.

I was able to test with a 1GB thumbdrive which I formatted to exFAT from within Vista. I then copied a few simple text and jpg files over, then put it on my Snow Leopard (10.6.6) machine and it mounted it fine and read the files fine, then I saved a simple text file to read back on the Vista machine (which it read fine - recognizing it and automatically opening it in Word).

I would test it with a thumb drive or 2 before making any major format, but it should work. Also, when or if you read it back on a Windows machine, it seems Mac adds some temp files, perhaps pointers, because there are numerous subdued files all starting with a period, " . " .

Cheers.