Thread: which services of Vista can be disabled to enhance its performance?

which services of Vista can be disabled to enhance its performance?

I have got a desktop system , I have installed Windows Vista operating system, despite of various drawbacks my elder brother insisted on installing the Windows Vista operating system and he was too adamant to use it, as it is said by many people that some features and services in Windows Vista are unnecessary for home user and those are useful only for advanced user. I am an ordinary user and do not do much of the programming work , but just play a few games and watch movies on my system, but my brother uses a lot of tools and application since he in the software implementation field. But after a week or so he has got his training abroad for six months, and so for the next few months , I will have to bear with all those all those complicated stuffs, but my brother says that some of the features or services can be disabled if not required and he asked me to do the same once he goes for the training ? Has anyone got any idea how to disable them and which of those services can be disabled ?

Re: which services of Vista can be disabled to enhance its performance?

You are absolutely correct, Windows Vista operating system heaps and tons of such services at the start up or after it gets booted, as you said some of them are significant for the core system to perform it’s basic tasks while some of them are non essential . As your brother says right you can disable those non essential services By doing this you can improve the performance in a significant manner , particularly on system which have limited resources. To disable those services you can command SERVICES.MSC in the search box of the Start menu visible at the desktop screen it will initiate a console called management console , you can also disable this services by opening the management console from the administrative tools ,located in the control panel and in that you will find a services options this tool will later on tweak the services .

This management console which is opened after typing the SERVICES.MSC in the search box , will give you explanation or narration of each and every service in it , it will also show the the relationship among these services and how these services are dependent on each other. The explicit and detailed explanation for each and every service is given on the left hand side of the window pane. If you think you can and you want to disable few services and you are not sure about it then you can use this pane to ensure whether the services you are about to disable can be disabled or not . But be careful while disabling those services , because few of those services take quite a long time to determine , and in some services the impact of disabling those services is unknown. But few of them can be disabled safely

To disable any particular service you can just double click on a service name , then it will open a General tab which will contain opens a detailed explanation about the status of all those services and their about their start up settings. All those services in that tab are either Manual i.e they are initiated only o if required needed by the system or Automatic I,e they are initiated by the Windows itself as their default startup type status . There is a special startup type with the name Automatic (Delay Start) , it ensures startup process of the operating system is on time, for that it has to load those essential services .

All those Services who have set their startup type status as Disabled will not execute or run since it is disabled manually , even if any program requires those services . In most cases a strange error message is shown by the program which does not seem to relate to a disabled service. But if any attempt to disable any service on which some other services are dependent, or that particular is dependent on some other service , it will prompt an error, you can disable a dependent service at some extent, but you cannot disable any service if some other running services are dependent on it.

Do not forget to read to read the service description before you attempt to disable any a service! You can avoid those future error messages by just changing the startup type of the services name . If you are not sure about any service , I.e. if you have no idea what is this service all about and do not know what will be the impact of deleting those service then please do not disable it , it might cause any issue or problem .

I do not think that disabling any service, would have much impact , so I will rather recommend you keep it as it is .Check out for certain basic functionality if they do not function properly i.e the way they should , so in that case it is suggested that you should re initiate those services , for that purpose you will have to change the start up type either to automatic or to manual, changing the start up type to Automatic or Manual. But be careful, you are requested not to disable a big number services at once, and do not disable any service without proper investigation , spend some time on take some time to examining the changes in the system, and most important do not disable any service without confirming that the service you are about to disable without looking in the dependency tab. The Tab dependency will give idea about the services and their dependency, you can go through this tab before disabling any particular services to make sure that no other service is dependent on the service which is about to be disabled.