Thread: Portable Hard Drive cannot be recognized by Windows 7

Portable Hard Drive cannot be recognized by Windows 7

I was having the Windows XP on the system and till then all was working fine with the things here. It used to recognize the External hard drive as well. Now after that I recently upgraded the system from the Windows XP to the Windows 7 as I had seen a very powerful virus attacking my PC and hence went for this upgrade. Now the thing is that I have seen that this new Windows 7 cannot see the portable Hard Drive that I am having. What can be the reason for this? I do not think that the Windows 7 can be responsible for this behavior. Please let me know if I am correct. I have seen that the Windows 7 is the best operating system so far and hence I do not think that it can be so buggy. Any suggestions on this.

Re: Portable Hard Drive cannot be recognized by Windows 7

Well to start with I think that you had a hit with a Virus and you in addition to that did not go with the Clean installation and along with that you went for the upgrade and hence I think that the loop hole of the problem is well situated here and I would recommend you to take the action in this matter as soon as possible. I would say that it will be better if you can have the System of yours Scan with some good antivirus and if you ask me I think that you can make use of the Avira Antivir for that. You can go with the details of this Antivirus and please while downloading the antivirus see that you take care of the Bit Version or this can proved to be something else instead. Best of Luck with the Scan.

I think that you will be required to reinstall the Windows 7 on your system and it is the only way by which you can have this done in the proper way. Go to the Boot Up screen and then insert the CD there and then go with the Clean installation. After that I think that you will have the Portable Hard Drive recognized by the system. Please go with the Clean Installation all the time in such cases so that you can have the right things for you. Go for the upgrade only if you were having the tings working well and if you are having such (here VIRUS) issue with the system then I think that the Clean Installation is the best way to avoid any further problematic situations. Try this and let me know if you were able to get out with this.

I have the same issue here with the Hard Disk that I have here in the system itself. Actually the thing is that I have two partitions here on the system and when I went for the upgraded to the Windows 7 I have seen that the Windows 7 simply does not recognize the D: drive. I do not know what can be the reason for this weird look of the Windows 7. When I was using the Windows Vista I had not seen this issue either and will be happy if you can suggest something in this matter. Both the drives that I am talking about are present on the single hard drive but yet the issue is here. Can you all please tell me what can be done here so that I can get out of this drastic situation? Need you support in this matter at the earliest.

Looking at the case that you have presented here Mithras I think that you will have to make a trouble shoot with the situation that you are dealing with here. Just follow the steps below so that you can access the files and the folders that are there on the D: drives of yours:
    • You will be required to take the Ownership of the Folders
    • Just Right Click on the Folders and then go to the properties
    • After that you will be required to select the Security tab
    • Then you will be required to see for the Advanced Tab
    • Under the Advanced you will be able to see a tab called Owner
    • After that Click on the Edit
    • Then Click on the OK button

I think that the suggestion; that you both have received are well equipped and if I will have to summarize the whole think then you can go with the solution as follows. First install a Good Antivirus in your system. In my opinion I think that going with the ESET NOD32 will be best. Scan the Whole system and then see if that solves the issue and after that if it does not then go for the Clean installation of the Windows and after the installation completes just go for the Windows Updates and then go for the installation of the Antivirus and then again perform the Scan of the whole system. I am sure that this will for sure all the issue and you will be out of this critical situation. Will be happy if that gets solved.