Thread: Restarting and disk defragmentation problem in windows Vista

Restarting and disk defragmentation problem in windows Vista

I am having Microsoft windows vista Home Premium installed on my Desktop. While defragmenting the system I am facing problem. When I try to defragment the drive it defragments the drive successfully and the defragmentation window closes but after some time the defragmentation starts again. When I force the defragmentation to close my system restarts. I need a solution for troubleshooting the the defragmentation and restarting problem.

Re: Restarting and disk defragmentation problem in windows Vista

Disk defragmentation is necessary and important process. When the disk are not defragmented then it may lead to several causes such as slow down the performance of the system, system will be crashing, it will take too much time to start up and automatically shut down. To defragment the disk you can use a tool called as “Auslogics Disk Defrag”. Auslogics Disk Defrag is used for fast defragmenting of the hard disk and it is freely available tool.

You can fix the restarting of the system by repairing the operating system. For repairing the system you need to insert the Windows vista CD into the CD-ROM and restart the system. Press the Del button to enter into the BIOS settings. In the BIOS settings change the boot device to CD-ROM and save it. Follow the window so that you can repair your operating system.

When you are using windows vista Home Premium and if your system is restarting by itself then you can fix this problem very easily. You need to follow the below steps:
    1. Go to Start select the Run window.
    2. In the run window type “MSConfig” and press the enter key.
    3. Now you need to click on the startup tab and disable all the checkbox.
    4. Reboot the system. Now the system will not restart.

You need to check the system using antivirus with the latest update so that there is not virus into your system. The system might be restarting because you have installed a new driver. After installing the latest driver you need to restart the system. You should have the latest driver for your system hardware. The system may be restarting because there are file system problems into your system. You can use the chkdsk utility to fix the file system error.

The system may be restarting because of heating problem. If the system is used from long time then due to overheating it may be restarting automatically. For solving the heating problem you can install a tool called as “motherboard monitor “which will monitor the temperature of the components on the motherboard and on the other hand it will increase the speed of your fan.

First and foremost, run diagnostics with the hard disk manufacturer's disk monitoring utilities; these can be downloaded from their website for free.

You could also have filesystem corruption. Definitely run chkdsk /r once before defragging. Instructions are here (it says XP, but applies to Vista as well)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

If that doesn't solve it, run comprehensive malware and anti-virus scans to check for infections.

Finally, it will be worthwhile to explore other defragmentation utilities. The Windows defragger is quite lousy for speed, options and defrag quality. Google 'automatic defragmenter' for far better third party automatic defragmenters.