Thread: Display properties cannot be displayed

Display properties cannot be displayed

Hi all,

I am running Windows XP in my computer. All the other functions are working fine in it but I have problem with the display property box. Normally if we right click on the desktop and select the property which is the last option then it should show the display property but in my case it does nothing. It is not showing any error message. In short the option for properties is totally inactive. Can you tell me that what can be the problem with it and how can it be solved?

Re: Display properties cannot be displayed

The problem that you are facing may be due to bad context menu handler. You can download the ShellExView. You will be able to view/enable/disable the extension of shell with help of that. This is a small file of laround 55 to 60 kb and can be downloaded in seconds. After downloading, extract that file and run sheview.exe. Look for the DISPLAY extension and check that it is put to NO in the disabled pane.

Have you installed any operating system on your computer? I am asking this to you because it may be due to virus attack on your system. If you have not installed any antivirus then install a good one and scan the entire system with that, Make sure that you have updated the antivirus that you are using. Clean or delete the infected files if they are not needed for you. If it is related to the antivirus then it will solve that.

This is due to the Trojan which is of advance version. I have also faced this problem earlier. Have you tried to open the control panel? I am sure that if this is the same case as mine then your control panel will also not be opened. I tried many things to fix this but all that was just waste of time. According to, the best way is to reload the operating system but before doing that you have to take the backup of the system files and only after that you should proceed further. If it worked in my case then it will work for you also.

You can try one more thing to show the display properties. Go to start and select Run. In that you have to type control desktop and press Enter button. It should open the desktop properties. This is the shortcut command for opening the Display properties.

If you are using Windows XP pro then you can go to start > Run and type gpedit.msc.
    From the left panel, you have to navigate to:
    • User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel
    • User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display
    • User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\Desktop Themes

Check whether any of these are enabled.

looks like the driver problem reinstall the display driver

or

group policy settings has been screwd up or registery setting

solution:

reinstall the driver from manufractures website

reset the windows shell by using symantec shell reset

try to restore the registery to previous backup...

You have to repair the operating system that you are using. There must be some files in your operating system that are corrupted. Insert the OS CD in your computer and boot from that CD. After loading the files, it will show you the options for the repairing the system. Select that option and this will replace all the corrupted files from your computer. I wish that this will solve the problem for you.