Thread: Purpose of 100MB reserved space in Windows 7

Purpose of 100MB reserved space in Windows 7

On most Windows 7 systems can be found next to the system partition is another partition with a capacity of 100 MB. I clear on where it comes from, what purpose it fulfills, and how to create this partition can sometimes be reversed. I am having many queries regarding this.!! So thought to take some notes from you guys. Please tell me the purpose of this space. I have never saw such reserved space in Windows XP. I know that 100MB is not much issue on 350GB hard disk, but still want to know the secret... Please help me by providing detailed information.

Re: Purpose of 100MB reserved space in Windows 7

The 100-MB partition called "System reserved" is provided at the beginning of the first hard disk. It takes one hand to the boot manager. The further purpose is to support BitLocker Drive Encryption on the operating system partition. Thus, the system can be launched from a BitLocker-encrypted system drive must be after the boot loader from the non-encrypted 100 MB segment is still the routine BitLocker be loaded. Although BitLocker only owners of Windows 7 Ultimate (and Enterprise) is available, for retaining the 100 MB partition is still useful, since one of the Anytime upgrade so any time can upgrade to a later version. As 3rd the partition function includes the startup environment for the repair mode (Windows Recovery Environment - WinRE), which otherwise has to be started from the installation disc.

When you install Windows 7 on a blank hard disk is setting up the partitions from the installer automatically another partition with a size of up to 100 MB. But you will receive only a report of the independent creation of this partition if you installed "Custom" and then to the question "Where do you want to install Windows", the "Drive options (advanced)" and put up here then "NEW" a partition. According to the size for the new partition then the message of Windows Installation occurs. If the hard disk where Windows 7 is to be installed, but already with one or more partitions to them (eg if there is a previous Windows system, even on a partition), the boot manager written on the first partition on the hard disk and subsequent to a Creation of the 100 MB partition waived.

Delete this at this point you created a primary partition. The warning message that pops-up can be ignored. No issue in doing it. Then again, you select the system partition with the 100 MB and click on "expand". In the Size box, Windows will automatically select the unallocated space. You can also change this value. The size should be chosen so that later on the total space the system can be installed. You get a warning again. After OK, you have extended the system partition. On this, then, can the system be installed only if it is not formatted. Only now has the reserved system partition into a normal partition and can be used for installation.

You may now hope to find a way how to get the 100 MB partition back to an already existing system is removed. We do not recommend for several reasons - mainly due to the fact that the boot manager with a deletion would not be found (and therefore Windows 7 first no longer booting). Moreover, should also be made to the existing partitions changes. 100 MB of space savings, the risk of data loss and a damaged Windows not worth it. Also shrink the partition should be omitted. Will fail, for example, in Windows 7 built-in image backup , which of the system partition, the 100 MB boot partition addition, too little hard drive space when the size of this 100 MB partition is reduced. This is due to the fact that the image backup is done on the fly and the shadow copy service this need free hard disk space. At a minimum, Microsoft has fixed this case 50 MB, with a reduction of the 100 MB partition on eg 50 MB might not exist. Finally, a note: If a burning program needed already have a GB of hard drive space, you should not interfere with the 100 MB here. The potential problems are nothing compared to the recovered disk space.