Thread: Windows XP Install become Extremely Unstable on new HDD

Windows XP Install become Extremely Unstable on new HDD

I just bought a brand new 500GB HDD for my windows PC. I tried to install XP on it but I got several issues during the installation process. I tried to do complete install of Windows XP home edition using the retail CD. Sometime during the installation it is unable to find a file on CD. Some other time it will show just blue screen when the installation in progress. If it successfully installed on disk, it will extremely unstable. I tried to run the Windows update using high speed connection but the update won’t be able to download its file. Later the instability of XP increases and the Internet Explorer starts crashing. The system tells downloaded update files are corrupted. How could it be possible? The XP is such good OS for all platforms of computer models and its peripherals. Then how it becomes unstable without any reason? The most important thing is that I never had issue before. Is my new HDD is causing this problem?

Re: Windows XP Install become Extremely Unstable on new HDD

If your system is using dual boot or any secondary HDD then one of the OS become unstable. If your system had 2 OS versions of Windows XP like 32 bit and 64 bit then also there may chance to become unstable. But here in your system it seems to be that you are running either on bad RAM chip or on low Memory RAM. You will need to upgrade them first to get the better performance. Otherwise the OS and other application become unstable and stops responding. A bad sector in HDD is also making some sense on the performance of OS and also several applications.

If you have installed the Windows XP from the duplicate disk or pirated disk then it work as original as the retail one. You are telling that you have bought the retail copy of Windows XP home edition. Check the CD cover serial number on Microsoft website. If the CD is original then you will get the information about that CD and also the serial key. Otherwise you won’t get anything from it. Have you tried installing other version of OS like windows 7 or Linux? Try those first then you will notice whether it is happening due to hardware failure or from the XP CD.

I never had this kind of issue in Windows XP but I had it in later version due to incompatibility of the Hardware and some of the components. If your system is much older then there might be chance that the motherboard or processor cannot take either 32 bit XP or 64 bit XP. How many partitions are there in your HDD? If you have installed the XP on C: partition, then do as I am telling now. May be this could help you out.
    • Insert the original Windows CD on your disk drive.
    • Restart the computer
    • Format the C: drive
    • Start the installation on other than C: partition

If the XP is giving lot of trouble in your system then do as I say.
    • First of all insert the Windows XP CD to the DVD-ROM.
    • Exit the auto menu if it pop ups automatically.
    • Then go to Start>run
    • In the Run dialog box type SFC /Scannow and click OK. (Note that there is no space between SFC and /)
    • Now restart your system and check for the issue.

What is your hardware configuration? What brand of computer you are using right now? Do you have the compatible hardware for XP edition? You will need to update XP before installing other applications or programs to it, which means at the time of fresh install. Some time the other programs won’t let you to download update files, like the antivirus program. If the XP is troubling after the complete installation then it might be the cause of some your system chipset or components drivers. I think that your old chipset drivers are not recognizing the OS properly. If your system is a OEM machine then you must need OEM patches to improve the system’s performance.