Thread: How to remove Multiple versions of OS in single PC

How to remove Multiple versions of OS in single PC

I am using a Pentium 4 computer with 2 GB RAM and 120 GB HDD. Recently my computer has infected with several virus and they are causing me much trouble when booting. That why I tried the windows installation CD to repair or restore the system. I thought that the MBR might be corrupted. My HDD was fine and also the RAM. When I was trying to repair OS the CD installs the complete new XP alongside the old version of XP. I don’t get any problem with this installation because the original OS was working without any issues. So I edited the boot menu, so that I no longer needed the options for multiple OS. But when I look in looked into the windows folders there are 3 folders naming windows, windows0 and windows1 along with their respective documents and settings. It is taking much extra space from HDD and I am running out of space now. So I need to delete those folders without touching my good and working version of OS and all its corresponding settings and document. So any idea about this? If you give me a good solution I will be much appreciated.

Re: How to remove Multiple versions of OS in single PC

You did a good job my editing the boot.ini and removing unwanted version of OS from boot menu. It will work absolutely fine. But the actual thing is this edit process will not remove any files or folders and their settings from the HDD or the partition. This is because those are installed files they cannot be removed that easily unless formatting the drive. As far as I know to get rid of those folders, documents and settings you will need to completely format the drive where they reside and do the fresh and complete install again. If you try to delete those folders they will not access you to continue. In case they granted for the delete command not going to delete the whole things.

I think that it may be possible to delete those folder and their corresponding files. First of all boot the OS or version of windows which you want to keep alive on your PC. Then open the Windows Explorer and go to the drive where you have installed the windows. Select the files or folder which you want to delete and hit the delete key from the keyboard. But you could not be able to delete all files. Some files still left in folder. If files are still left in there then rename them and try to delete now. Don’t worry about the files of your current running OS. Windows will not let you to delete them.

If your current OS will not letting you to delete the other version of windows folder and files, then you will need an appropriate tool to complete this task. There is good tool called Unlocker which is specially designed and developed for windows platform. Once you have installed the Unlocker tool on your PC it will start working every time when the windows start up. The tool will put its monitoring tool on system’s tray to keep watching the blocked process and files. If those files cannot be deleted manually then this application will pop up a window, showing the process that is holding the file. And it gives several options like Unlock, delete, unlock all, kill process etc to continue with user choice. you can select any option to unlock them and delete manually.

When deleting the folder or documents of the windows OS, are you getting these kind of error messages?
    • Cannot delete file: Access is denied!
    • There has been a sharing violation!
    • The source or destination file may be in use!
    • The file is in use by another program or user!
    • Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use!

Then you have to download any one of these tools to get rid of and those tools are like Process Explorer, FileASSASSIN, LockHunter, OpenedFilesView, ForceDel, Advanced Process Manipulation, Delete Doctor, GiPo@MoveOnBoot, Boot Deleter etc….

I think that before deleting the system folder you will need to take the ownership of those folders. To take the ownership follow the below suggestions
    • Log on as an administrator in your system
    • Boot up Windows XP Home Edition in safe mode
    • Disable Simple File Sharing in Windows XP Professional
    • Now to take the access of file or folder follow the steps as I am saying:
    • Right click on the file or folder and select the properties.
    • Then click Security tab> advanced button > owner tab.
    • You will get the name list, in that click Administrator or Administrators group and click OK to Exit.

For more information follow this link