Thread: During boot up get the error “Floppy disk failure 40”

During boot up get the error “Floppy disk failure 40”

Hello to all, I am having the system with Windows XP operating system. The problem is when I boot up it display me the error message that "floppy disk failure 40", after this error I have to press F1 to continue with the boot up. I have than check in the BIOS system and I seen that Floppy seek is enabled and I have also put a floppy disk in the drive and read data and copied data to the floppy disk with no problem. it works but it fails during the boot up sequence. please help what is the problem, i am not getting it properly.

Re: During boot up get the error “Floppy disk failure 40”

Check in the BIOS that the floppy drive is set to 1.4 Meg. Also check whether your floppy drive light is on, if it is on than the ribbon cable might be connected upside down. You probably have the data cable on the backward side, either at the floppy drive end, or the motherboard end or at the both end. Check for the connection couple of time, if you're sure it's on right, try a known-working floppy to see if it works.

I want to ask something that you have actually tried the floppy drive and check whether it works. The reason is that I seen on most of the computers which are set as boot from the CD drive first, during the boot, it display that the CD boot failure. It does not means that the CD ROM is not working. Its means that it fails to find something in to the drive to boot from bootable disk. When we move to the other boot device that is Floppy drive. If you found that you’re floppy is working and want to just get rid of the message at start up and make your device boot a bit quicker. Go into the BIOS system setup and set your first boot device as your hard drive. try it, it will work. good luck

Go on to your BIOS set up and try to use the default settings. After saving it save it and exit. Also try to check whether for the any boot sequence or the priority under BIOS settings that the floppy disk is set to enabled. If you found that there is still no change than remove the CMOS battery for around 5 minutes. Then insert it back. After it, it may just require the system reset. Go to BIOS, change time, date. Check again default settings, priority.

It means that your floppy has not been detected, check to make sure its properly connected, and that its properly identified in BIOS system, if neither of those, replace it.I have usually found that almost every time this thing happens, it is due to a bad, loose or misaligned floppy cable or incorrect configuration in the BIOS system. I've never actually encountered a bad drive causing this error, though it is very possible. Make sure the power connector to the drive is secure also. it might also occurs due to bad floppy drive , or due to the bad ribbon cable , or cable might be connected wrong. if your light is on all the time, reverse the connection. it might help you out.

If you try a new floppy in to the floppy drive and also new cable for the floppy drive and set up the floppy in your BIOS system. If do not work in that you must be install again the BIOS or upgrade it once again. Because one or more files for it might be missing in your BIOS. i had tried this on one of my friends computer and it worked. also check that your floppy set in your CMOS, have you checked the cables to see if they are on properly. also scan for the virus.