Thread: Compare Role of Defrag in Windows 7 and Windows XP

Compare Role of Defrag in Windows 7 and Windows XP

I have tried to use a Defrag on my computer And my brother’s computers at the same time few days ago. My system is a fairly new HP desktop
    In built with 4 GB of RAM and with Windows 7. My brother’s computer is a 3-year old with one GB of RAM and with windows XP. Now by the experiment I have seen that my brothers computer Defrag run almost twice as fast as my computer. I don’t know how is this possible that 4 GB RAM system with using windows 7 performing slower than old 1 GB system with using windows XP . I want to know the reason as well as the solution to get better speed in my system also .

Re: Compare Role of Defrag in Windows 7 and Windows XP

There are different reasons like amount of files and amount of fragmentation which defrag by system. Windows 7 can do 5 file pass where windows XP can only 1file pass .Here also hard disk size also play crucial role in defrag , as you say you have new system and in new systems hard drive may be of 1 TB of range where in three year old system has only 40 to 80 GB . So may be the size of hard disk is reason for this. Also its depends on the size and types of files and fragmentation amount if this is large in your new system then May it could be the reason.

Ok, I can understand your problem that you had pay more for better performance and still you didn’t get that speed. I think there are different reasons for that but some of them are common like having virus or malware in your system, for that I would suggest you to install antivirus such as Norton Security Scan , McAfee and Symantec and keep updating this. Also keep your PC away from spywares, for this you need to install Ad-Aware. It can be occur because of any drivers are unsigned or corrupt. For that you can check from help. Execute a DISK CLEANUP as Start then Programs then Accessories then System Tools and Disk Cleanup. also try to defrag each partition of hard disk.And hard disk should be partitioned for when you are performing defraging.
    Last edited by teena_pansare; 24-11-2010 at 12:51 PM.

As you say this is your new system but in some cases it doesn’t matter , it is better to having windows 7 for defragment a disk. But its defragment defends on hard Disk. You have to Defragment hard disk partition by clicking the Start menu and then button defragment into the search line. It is very much essential that the occupant antivirus must be disabled. optimistically this will positively help you to get this problem fixed. It also depends on which type of defrag you are using .In any case, the default windows defragger basically cannot defrag some types of large files, system files, in low space conditions etc, and there is no mode to bypass the restrictions with the in-built defragger.

As I experienced Windows 7 is unlike from the other versions of windows. as you can follow the defragmentation, and the percentage that has been finished. That method gives you an estimate on when the defragmentation will be complete. If a SSD Drive is detected, the automatically planned defragmentation is deactivated. As of Windows XP, hard Disk Defragmenter is also used to develop system set up times. But a window 7 doesn’t have this facility.

As per versions and types of the disk defragmenter, some of the defragmenter is not supported to windows 7 so I would like to tell you some of the defragmenter that you can try for your windows 7 . Auslogics Disk Defrag its Supported file systems FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, Defraggler its Supported file systems are FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, mst Defrag its Supported file system is NTFS, MyDefrag Defraggler its Supported file systems are FAT16, FAT32, NTFS for every defrager you can get new version from their official sites time to time.

ThumbsUp Re: Compare Role of Defrag in Windows 7 and Windows XP

The Windows defraggers, especially the default ones found in Vista and Win7 are very slow and inefficient. They can take very long even on fast systems with small HDDs. It's better to get a nice automatic defragmenter and install it- you'll not have to worry about defrag times again.