Thread: Using Root Priveleges In Ubuntu 10.10 To Unmount Partitions

Using Root Priveleges In Ubuntu 10.10 To Unmount Partitions

I have been recently started using the Operating system of Ubuntu 10.10 and previously I had the older version of it. So I thought to use the newer version of this operating system with the installation of the newer version. I have recently done an NTFS partition in my computer by using the disk utility. Now I wanted to uninstall the partition and whenever I try to click un-mount an error is shown to me that says that an error has been accounted while perform this task on a 17GB File-system. And when I click on details the error shown is as below:
    Error unmounting: umount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
    umount: only root can unmount UUID=8A8AC0518AC03C07 from sarika; where sarika is the mount point of the volume. Please help me though this issue and provide me a solution for this.

Re: Using Root Priveleges In Ubuntu 10.10 To Unmount Partitions

Always see first that whether you have installed the partition using the entry at /etc/fstab or by sudo. But if you have used the above files for the partition purpose then you cannot use the disk utilities for the un-mounting of the partitions. You can check out the files that are supporting the files that are described above and see the various other methods that can be used for the un-mounting of the partitions.

The simplest of the methods for the performing of the un-mounting is given below :-
    • At the first you got to open the terminal and in that you got to type "sudo nautilus" and nautilus will help to open the root directory.
    • After that you have to click the mounter drives and then you got to click on to unmount.

This is the simplest of the techniques that can be used for the un-mounting of the partitions that has been done in the Ubuntu 10.10.

Their is another technique for this procedure to carry on which is a bit complex techniques:
    • Where the first tthing you got to do is to make the changes to the files that has been described above and then follow the editing of the files such as the /etc/fstab.
    • And for doing the further process you got to open the terminal and the type of files that has been desribed below:
    • "sudo gedit /etc/fstab"
    • After that delete the line that will contains '/sarika' and then after the process is complete you got save it.
    • When all the above test are complete you got to restart the computer.

After the restart process you got to mount it if you want and again do it with the use of the Nautilus.
    This set-up will surely help you out to remove the partitions.

The files that are described above is of the file type of the /etc/fstab that is present in the Linux system. For this you got to learn that what are the contents in it mean and also see that how it will be used for the conjunction with the mount command. And when you study the files of the fstab file, you will learn to edit all its contents by just yourself. And in the tuxfile you will know how to install all the file systems and the partitions that can be done with the use of the mount command.

Also keep the fstab configuration up to date in which the file that is containing all the information and also the partitions and storage devices in your computer. The file are said to be located all under /etc,and so now take the full path to this file as /etc/fstab.And also it is that the /etc/fstab files will contain the information of all the partitions and the storage devices that are to be mounted. And also if you cannot be accessed to your Windows partition from the one of Linux, and if your nor able to mount your CD or write the files to your floppy as being the normal user, and also if your having the problems with CD-RW, then it is that your misconfigured the files of the /etc/fstab file. Also this problems can be solved by making them changes in the fstab. After all this you got to log in as the root user in it.