Thread: Windows XP:asking for password during boot up

Windows XP:asking for password during boot up

Hello, I am having a Dell computer with the environment of windows XP. Which was working fine while I was using the windows vista on my machine, recently upgrade that one with windows XP, which was also works fine till the last day. But from yesterday it is also having a problem during boot up the machine, which is asking for the administrative password while I m tried to open the window, it happens before the windows XP logo is appears in the screen of the machine. I am not a technical person, so I have no such idea regarding this type of problem. I am here to share my problem, anyone having the same problem or having any solution to fix this issue? Any suggestion on this will be appreciated…

Re: Windows XP:asking for password during boot up

Repair the operating system (Windows XP), it might be help you to solve the problem. Before that I suggest to do one thing. Start the machine in safe mode and then go for to restore the window. For that go to Accessories under the start menu of window. Look for the system restore option of the machine, click on this and select one desire date and time where you are willing to store the system, select the time when this problem was not occurred. It will take time, wait for the response and then I hope the problem will be overcome. And if still the problem is occurring then I think there will be only solution for the problem repair the windows XP in your machine, insert the disk and start pressing f8 from keyboard, it will appear the windows installation window in your screen and where look for the repair option, this will definitely resolve the problem.

I recommend you to remove the password request during the boot up in the machine. To disable or to remove this one go to the “Start menu button" for the taskbar of your machine and type "Control userpasswords2” and enter this into the search option of the start menu. It will open a configuration window which contains the user ID and password which is assigned to log on the computer, where look for the option which is named as "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, uncheck the option by tick mark on it, it will disable the option to enter the user ID and password during boot up the machine and click on Apply. Type the password which is used to log in the machine and on the second text box retype the password and click on OK. Then restart the machine, I hope the you will no longer ask for the password during start the machine.

Try to enter into the machine with the System Configuration Utility and then turn off the password requirement during boot up the machine, to enter the system by the System configuration utility use the following path in your machine. Type “msconfig” and insert into the search command line under start menu. It will open the window of System Configuration Utility. Look for the boot file which will named as BOOT.INI which might be located in the top corner of the window. Check for the level box with the name SAFEBOOT, select that one and click on OK, this change will ask you to restart the machine, select the manual option to boot the machine. your machine will after that automatically start the machine in safe mode, then go to control panel and look for the user account option under that window where you able to change the password as well the request order of password during boot up the machine. Now reboot the machine in normal mode this will surely help you.

Relevant issue in my computer, which is running under windows XP, the problem is encountered just few days back, which is as while I tried to start the windows it requires the password and after putting my administrator password it does not start the window. I tried to start the window in safe mode, but the same problem is occurred there, what should I do to solve the problem? Is there any solution for this problem?

amaliakubin Guest

If you forgot a Windows XP password, you can log on as an administrator to reset the password. Follow this:
    1) Restart the computer.
    2) Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE twice, then type the name of the administrator user account.
    3) Type the administrator password in the password box, and then click OK.
    4) Click START ->> RUN ->> Type 'control userpasswords2' ->> click OK.
    5) On the Users tab, click the name of the user account that you want to reset the password for, and then click Reset Password.
    6) Type a new password in the New password box, and then type the password again in the Confirm new password box, and then click OK.
    7) Restart the computer, and then try to log on to Windows again.

If you forgot or lost your Windows password, you can log on as a valid administrator account to reset all users and other administrators password, without any tool. But, if you forgot your only administrator password, you can reinstall your system with Boot-CD, or reset your Windows password with a Windows Password Reset Disk if you got one, or use some Windows password recovery tool to reset the password. Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 is a good choice for Windows password recovery, it can easily reset Windows user and administrator password to blank without reintalling your system.

First,you can try this method.Start system and press F8 key when Windows is starting up. Then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and enter. Choose Administrator,the default password may be blank if you don’t set the default administrator password before.Then you will enter into doc Command as following.

Type “ net user net user xxx 12345 /add “ (xxx is the locked account name and 123456 is the new password set on this account).Then you will see the Command Completed Successfully.

Then this method can fully help you remove the administrator password,i highly suggest you this one.

1. Login to a computer that can link to Internet. Download windows Password key and install it on that PC. Note that: there is a .ISO file. Burn the .ISO file to a CD or a USB flash drive.

2. Insert the newly created CD/USB drive to the locked computer.

3. Reboot the locked computer and press'F2'or'Delete'to enter your BIOS setup and then followed the process of instructions. Just a few steps, the old password was removed.

You can use the registry editor to solve this problem, click start and type regedit, insert into the start menu RUN command prompt. Locate the following path of the registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon”. Proceed to the default user name and password windows and double click on Default Username entry, enter the appropriate user name and hit on ENTER. Again do the same thing, double click on the Default Password entry, enter the password and press ENTER. If you did not have any default password in the default password value line, then click on the New under the edit option and enter a string value in the password line, along with that you need to enter the Default Password, as the value name of the entered password. Then double click on this key and type the proper password in the Value Data box. As per ,my knowledge some times the windows Default Password registry entry not shows in every machine, then the value of password will change by windows XP automatically. Then proceed to AutoAdminLogon entry, put the value for that and click on OK. Hope this will help you.