Thread: Upgrade ubuntu 10.10

Upgrade ubuntu 10.10

I am using dell laptops from last one OR more than one year and since then I am using ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop. It is working very well. But now I want to upgrade it to the newly launched upgrade version 10.10. So can anyone guide me how can I easily upgrade my 10.04 ubuntu to 10.10 ubuntu? Please help me to solve my problem. Thank you in the advance.

Re: Upgrade ubuntu 10.10

Ubuntu 10.10 is the latest version of the Ubuntu operating system. This version of Ubuntu operating system is released recently on 10/10/2010. The common name given to this release is "Maverick Meerkat". The installation of Unbuntu is genally performed with the Live Unbuntu CD. The Unbuntu Operating System can directly run from that CD. Unbuntu currently supports to Intel x86, AMD64
    To installed the Ubuntu 10.10 version you have to just follow the following simple steps:
    1. For installing you just have Ubuntu 10.10 Bootable CD. If you don’t have any Bootecle CD then you can download and burn the ISO file on CD. To Download the Unbuntu you can visit the official site. Ubuntu 10.10.
    2. After that you can Boot the system from the CD-ROM drive.
    3. After that it will prompt you to select the language. After you have select the language the installation process will begins by asking for your keyboard layout.
    4. n the main Boot menu there are some additional options to install Ubuntu Server Edition. You can install a basic Ubuntu Server, or install Ubuntu Server.
    5. Afterwards the installer discovers the hardware configuration, and configures the network settings using DHCP. You can also do this network setting by choosing the option "Configure the network manually". After that, you have to enter the system's hostname and Time Zone. You can then choose from several options to configure the hard drive layout.
    6. After that the Ubuntu base system is installed.
    7. After the installing get complete a new user is setup; this user will have root access. After the user is setup, you have to encrypt your home directory.

This way you can installed the Ubuntu 10.10. I hope this will help you.

For updating Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 10.10 I don’t think you have needed any Boot CD. You can easily upgrade over the network. For updating over network then you have to just follow the following procedure.
    1. First from the System -> Administration menu open the Software Sources application.
    2. Then from Software Sources application select the sub menu Updates .
    3. After that change the Release Upgrade drop down to "Normal Releases" after that you just have to close the application
    4. Press Alt-F2 and type update-manager
    5. Then for new updates click on the “Check” button to check.
    6. Then use the Install Updates button to install them if there are any updates to install, , and press “Check” button again after installation is get complete.
    7. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
    8. Click Upgrade and after that you just have to follow the on-screen instructions.

The above mansion procedure will help you upgrade your Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10. Thank You.

After you have done the above update via a network, then you have to perform server update also. Network upgrade for Ubuntu servers can be performed in the following ways:
    1. First you have to install update-manager-core. You can perform this task only if it is not haven installed:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
    2. After that just edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal
    3. Then you can launch the upgrade tool:

Code:
      sudo do-release-upgrade
    4. After launching the upgrade toll you have to just follow the on-screen instructions after that.