Thread: Need help with wd 4k sector on Debian

Need help with wd 4k sector on Debian

Hi, as you are almost certainly aware by means of the intention of WD released innovative drives ranging commencing 1TB to 2TB by means of native hold for 4K sector size. And as the majority of stuff written online is concerning Windows and their hold up for 4K, my difficulty is has anybody previously started to utilize it under linux. I am thoughts regarding getting one of these drives:1TB WD10EARS or 1.5TB WD15EARS I am utilizing Debian Lenny so my query are: is fdisk mechanically recognizes with the intention of that drive is 4K drive, or it absolutely ignores it and separation is as 512byte one. In windows if no 4K hold up is obtainable it would emulate it and presentation would be downgraded. Do I necessitate to facilitate several specific components in kernel so 4K drive is supported.

Re: Need help with wd 4k sector on Debian

There are frequent articles across the web which talks regarding the predicament in additional detail; a superior starting point is the Linux Not completely prepared for 4096-Byte Sector Hard Drives commentary at osnews.com. There are an assortment of partitioning tools for Linux. I be able to confirm by means of the intention of fdisk in util-linux-2.18 or higher does the right obsession by defaulting and hard aligns separation boundaries in a manner by means of the intention of is agreeable to 4KiB sector hard drives. For earlier versions or descriptions of disk, it is necessary to invoke by means of the "-cu" parameters, or to enter "c" as a command subsequent to initially entering the fdisk shell.

This determines to turn off DOS compatibility mode and create certain with the intention of the first separation begins at sector 2048, not sector 63 (presumptuous a unit size of 512 bytes). I have comprised and confirmed by means of the intention of this is a valid work approximately in util-linux-2.17.2. I have in addition read with the intention of parted (version or description 2.2 or greater) in addition does the right thing by defaulting, whereas cfdisk does not. I would recommend with the intention of several owner of a hard drive by means of a 4KiB physical block size make sure by means of their distro vendor to determine as to whether the predicament has been addressed in its installation media. If in several doubt, I would in addition powerfully recommend with the intention of users manually generate their partitions previous to conducting an installation.

By means of the intention of angular velocity speed thing has to be the majority stupid justification for poor presentation. At the on top of test, why do not the additional drives commencing the additional producer have comprised/suffer commencing the similar physics "tribulations". If you have encompassed and read the position I was answering two you would be familiar by means of with the intention of the angular velocity explanation was not meant to give explanation overall poor presentation, additional than to explain why the hard drive is not relocating data at the similar speed in excess of the whole disk.

I had endeavor to create label as GPT on the disks (then you necessitate parted), and I endeavor to create label as msdos. I endeavor to create RAID type separation, I endeavor the whole thing I be able to think of. What is surprising is by means of the intention of it seems by means of the intention of you not be able to generate separation in excess of an md drive. I have encompassed and installed ubuntu 10.4 for at present, and endeavor to create the similar configuration commencing the graphic interface from ubuntu. And it immediately does not let me separation to the md device.

I was currently or presently wondering what a number of the debian community users has been familiarity in regards to the innovative Western Digital 4K superior format drives. Has anybody tried utilizing one of these drives on the 2.6.26 (64/32 bit) kernel shipped by means of Lenny stable. How regarding by means of the 2.6.32 (64/32 bit) kernel shipped by means of squeeze testing. Is the hold up or maintain additional dependent relative on the kernel or does debian previously sustain or maintain these drives. Does this mkfs work approximately work to preserve the presentation of the drive. By utilizing the -b 4096 (to indicate the 4k sectors) when generating partitions such as: Is there several implication for mounting a separation formatted by means of the on top of command. Is there no matter which in fdisk by means of the intention of one be supposed to do to signify 4K sectors for partitions as well. I understand by means of the intention of added layers to the separation such as drive encryption and/or LVM volumes must in addition be setup to utilize 4K sectors too so by means of the intention of presentation is not lost.