Thread: Is windows 7 run with windowsXP 64 partition

Is windows 7 run with windowsXP 64 partition

Hi all,
    Having a HP computer which is running on the environment of windows XP 64 bit system architecture which creating some problem regarding the system performance, so I decide to upgrade that one into Windows 7 and run in the XP64 mode. So I am here to know about some of the information, like is it run with the XP64 drivers and settings? Is the data of earlier will be wipe, if I do this operation in my computer? Any suggestion on this will be appreciated.

Re: Is windows 7 run with windowsXP 64 partition

I don’t think so there will be any issue with that of you run the Windows 7 in your 64-bit partition, I think there is no need of changing the settings that you mad in the installation of the windows XP, I am not sure about the driver those are installed with windows XP. There might not be works with that windows 7, because as per my knowledge the driver for windows 7 ad vista are come as separate. So I don’t think these will be works with the windows 7, where as other will run in your machine, no problem will occur whether the machine run under any windows environment.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Since there no option to upgrade the machine directly from windows XP to windows 7, so I like to suggest you to go for the clean installation of the windows version that you are willing in your machine, this will overwrite all the file of windows XP into windows 7, after the install oyu will found a file which is either named as XP.old or windows old file in the primary drive where you install both the operating systems. You all earlier data’s will be stored over there, but I think this will not run with the maximum number of driver as long as the settings. You have to install the new driver into machine which is comes for windows7 only, otherwise it will not works win the windows version. As per my knowledge the drivers for either 32 or 64 bit is available as separate in the market. You have to install the driver with the appropriate version.

I think there is way to keep run the machine with windows 7 environment in the 64-bit system architecture. You need to install the ZInstall application in your machine, by using this it is possible and there is no need of change the setting as well as no need to install the driver as separate. All the data of your existing environment will keep a side and you can able to access them from a side in your newly installed windows 7 machine. I did this with the ZInstall application, which is used for the migration of any windows version into another version. Install the windows 7 in your machine by following the proper option to install that in your machine. After the complete installation of windows 7, run the ZInstall application are select the windows version which you wish to run in the 64-bit environment. Try this, it will definitely fulfill your requirement.

Yes you can run windows 7 with the preinstall XP64 Pro environment, but I don’t think so if you did this then it will not run with the drivers those are installed for windows XP. You have to make the separate partition for the windows 7 in your machine, where you will install the appropriate software and driver for hardware for windows 7. You have to apply the hardware virtualization option form the machine this will run the existing driver of windows XP with windows 7. This option is appears in the virtual PC. If you are having windows XP virtual PC then this is applicable to run windows 7 environment with the driver and the setting that you already made for windows XP. I had a virtual PC with the windows XP environment which is running with windows 7 with the driver and the application of windows XP.

As per my knowledge you can able to run the windows 7 environment in the system architecture of windows XP, which is 64-bit that you mentioned in your post. But make sure that you are also installing the 64-bit system architecture of windows 7. I am quite doubt about the driver’s which are installed in windows XP. These might not be works with windows 7. Because I think the driver fro windows 7 and XP are separate. And about the other settings might be works with that. I am using the windows 7 and XP both are 64-bit, and there is no problem with the windows settings, but the same hardware drivers are not working in both the environment. I installed the sound, graphic, wireless etc separately in both XP and windows 7. I did the partition in the primary drive to install both of them, and each partition contains the needed software and driver for the hardware. So if you willing to install both of them in same drive them I recommend you to do this with any freeware of partition, which is available in different web sites. Also make sure that the drive or the partition where you will install the windows environment, having the sufficient space, as the windows 7 is need more space than windows XP.