Thread: Problem in connecting Laptop to GPRS on linux.

Problem in connecting Laptop to GPRS on linux.

Hello friends , I am using a Dell laptop and would connect to the internet using the Airtel gprs through cables. But the problem is that since I wanted to connect it using the Bluetooth that is without using the cables, so when I configured my laptop to connect it to the phone gprs through Bluetooth its get connected and ask for passcode. If I put some random code then the phone is unable to paired with the laptop. Please can any suggest some procedure on how can I be able to connect my laptop through Bluetooth to the internet

Re: Problem in connecting Laptop to GPRS on linux.

Firstly, I would like to ask you that which handset you are using to connect it to your laptop. Usually the phone is also concerned while connecting to the internet using the Bluetooth trough laptop. Since you are using Linux as your operating system then I guess that you might face the problem of compatibility between the three that is your Dell laptop, Nokia Handset and Airtel connection. You might also need some linux drivers that will allow you to successfully connect the laptop to the handset, so you first have to download the compatible driver for the laptop and then do the connection .

Hey how did you make the connection to the phone, inorder to connect your laptop to the handset using the Bluetooth you have to follow an automatic approach. Don’t use manual connection to connect it to the internet, you should use automatic connection and select one of the Airtel network. Once this is done then the id and the passcode will be automatically set for you and you will automatically get redirected to the internet. Even I had follow the same approach and was successful in connecting it to the internet using the gprs.

Hey thanks for information that you all have provided but I would want to make it clear that I am having Linux operating system on my laptop so I cannot directly connect to the internet using the handset via bluetooth. In Linux is not that easy we have to follow some instructions and we have to write some code in the command line to carry out the connection. As far as drivers is concerned I think I have all the drivers that are needed to carry out the connection. So considering this can someone help me to solve my problem.

First of all you need to make sure that you have paired the phone and the laptop successfully, if you are not able to do this, then I guess you have to use Bluetooth applet 1.8 to first pair the laptop and the phone which you will get from the web. Once you have done this then you have to use the wvdial to connect to the internet and once you use this you wont be asked for any passcode or Id as such. Even I had tried the same solution and found that I was successfully able to connect it to the internet via bluetooth through my laptop

You can have a look on my settings as I have also done the same thing and was successful in doing so.

{
    Automatically initialize new devices
    ->autoinit yes;

Security Manager mode
    • none – Security manager disabled
    • auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
    • user - Always ask user for a PIN

Pairing mode
    • none - Pairing disabled
    • multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
    • once - Pair once and deny successive attempts pairing multi

• Default PIN code for incoming connections passkey "5678"

}

This will give you some idea on how to carry on the connection process.