Thread: How to install the Nividia drivers in Fedora 11 x64?

How to install the Nividia drivers in Fedora 11 x64?

Hi friends, I want to install the Nividia drivers in the Fedora 11 x64 bit.i has tried it but I was unable to do it. I need some help to get the Nvidia driver work on my System. I followed the whole procedure that it requires, including blacklisting the default driver and also by making changes to the xorg.conf file, but still it won’t work for me. I also downloaded the latest driver from nVidia for my 9800GTX+ graphics card. I tried to install the driver but it displays me the error. I don’t know what to do. Please help its urgent. thanks in advance

Re: How to install the Nividia drivers in Fedora 11 x64?

First try to get the drivers from the Index of /packages/linux-nvidia/Linux-x86_64. Depending on the bits 32 or 64 bit which you want to install. After installation boot the system to the console or alternately you can invoke a console from the GUI. After invoking it stop the GNOME. Code for it is: /etc/init.d/gdm stop. After typing this cod, navigate it to the driver file and execute it, code for it is: sh/home/Daniel/Desktop/NAME-OF-DRIVERS-FILE.run.
    If all these code goes properly, it will then ask you whether if you want to write a new xorg file, reply it yes. It may also ask for the some other questions. Answer it with default. For example, if it looks for the previous driver install it will want to remove it, but it will ask you first. It will not overwrite any of the thing or remove anything without your permission. Also allow it to remove the prior install to allow the current one. Answer it yes and log off the system and restart it back.

You need to pass the additional Kernel boot parameters. It has really worked for me with FC12 to rid myself of the nouveau driver and also make use of the proprietary NVidia driver. 1) Edit /etc/inittab and change it to the initdefault: 5 to the initdefault: 3 to boot up in text mode. Then save inittab. (2) Alter and append modeset.nouveau=0 vmalloc=xxxMB to kernel boot parameters in grub.conf. where xxx is your physical video memory. (3) Then Blacklist nouveau in to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. After Blacklist restart the system. Now the system will start in text mode. Log in to the root lsmod | grep nouveau. If nouveau is present, then modprobe -r nouveau. After it execute the .bin file you downloaded from the Nvidia site. (4) if the installation has done successfully, then edit /etc/inittab and changed initdefault:3 back to initdefault:5 and save it in inittab directory and restart the system.

I do have the problem related to the nVidia driver in the Fedora. I was using the nVidia driver in to the Fedora 12 but I upgraded to the nVidia to Fedora 11, it really not works for me. I have then downloaded the current nvidia drivers through ATrpms, but it not avail for me. After that I installed the drivers and rebooted the system, then the startup proceeds just fine until it's time to start the X server (gdm, I think), then the screen gets flickers. I have then make use of the Alt-F2 to open a new terminal, and then log in as root, remove the directories /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from it, then I can start or reboot, at which point F12 uses the nouveau driver instead. Whenever I try to run nVidia's own installation routine, I then go the very same error as previously got. I tried it many ways but it won’t help me then I reinstalled the nVidia driver to the Fedora 12 rather Fedora11.

If the upgrades that you have done for the system may include the kernels and X, then the modules that you have, should be rebuild or recreated or recompiled. The other option you may try is that the driver you have installed actually in to your system doesn't work with your supported card. Check from the nVidia website to check whether your card is supported or not supported by the driver you have been trying to install. In any such cases, the installer keeps on display the error if it unable to install. This will help you and provide you the clue that, why and where it gets fails.