Thread: Scandisk on every boot

Scandisk on every boot

I have recently purchased a brand new HP Pavilion dv-7-2273cl Entertainment Notebook. And till now it is serving me the best. I haven’t done any software and hardware installation on my system. I just did an online windows update and since then my system stops at boot and gives me the error message saying that “Checking file system on c: file type is NTFS…… and so on” I am not able to understand what it is error is all about it is making me wait for at least five minutes before the system starts. Does anyone is getting such kind of error if yes them please let me know how to get rid of this problem.

Re: Scandisk on every boot

I think your hard disk has a bad sector. If you are getting this problem then there is sure an issue with the hard disk you are using. Actually this is not an error it just a system Scandisk. Here the system scans the disk at every boot and gives the report you. What you have to do in this case is that just check out whether there are any problems related with the hard disk you are using and fix it up.

It seems to me that your hard disk is affected by virus. The system tends to give such errors when three are virus on your system so what you have to do in this case install an updated antivirus on your system and scan the whole system. What it will do is just remove the virus available on the system and also will keep your hard drive. According to the virus damages the hard disk and due to this it doesn’t respond to the system while booting.

As mentioned by you, that you have updated the windows operating system and since then the problem is occurring and I think that the updating process was not proper. Actually the thing here is that if the operating system is not installed properly then it tends to give such errors so what you have to do in this case just install the updated version of windows 7 on your system. I am sure that removing the older one and installing the latest and the updated OS will definitely help you to get rid of the problem.

I was also facing the similar kind of problem and I am sure that you are also going through the same stage. I think you have to hard reset the hard drive that you are using. The main problem is related with the hard disk you have so do one thing keep all the important data as back up and delete the unwanted and then just format your hard drive. What it will do is will give you the fresh one to operate and then again create partition and install the operating system on it. But make sure from this time you always keep an updated antivirus on your system which will help you to keep your system safe from the virus attack and also no such issues will occur in the future.

According to me you are getting this error because you are nor shutting down your laptop in the traditional way. If you directly press the power button on your laptop to turn your system off then definitely it will give you this error and also each time whenever you will do this. Basically when you turn your system of directly then the processors fails to save the system changes and the hard disk remain unsaved and when next time you on the laptop it makes you wait where it Scans the disks and recover the system and saves the changes made. And if don’t want this to happen then do shut down your system properly.

It comes because your drive might be a dirty bit set.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
    2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
    3. Next type "fsutil dirty query C:" (replace C with all drive letters and check)
    4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
    5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
    6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
    7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
    ckdisk.

If it still has the dirty bit set, i mean chkdsk does not fixed the issue , it means that the hard drive is bad.>Still you can disable this from registry.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 21-11-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.