Thread: What is different in Puppy Linux 4.0

What is different in Puppy Linux 4.0

I have been using Linux for quite some time now and heard about lots of the Linux distros and came across Linux puppy. I want to know how it is different from the other distros of Linux and which is its latest version in market. Because i don't have exact details about it and how i can have in my system, so if anyone have information regarding this please let me know because i am try to move for this but i thought it will be better if fetch some information regarding this.

Re: What is different in Puppy Linux 4.0

Puppy Linux differentiates itself from other distros of Linux with its exclusive goals, precedence and modernization. It provide with great features and compatible with all systems.
    • Puppy Linux is a Live CD Linux distribution that is extremely small and focuses on simplicity of use.
    • Runs on computers with restricted resources like you can run it on netbooks and Pentium III's and II's.
    • It comprises of all the applications that are need by end user with a download that is less than 100M.
    • It runs entirely from memory if the system has at least 256M. That is it provides you with superior performance yet on low-end machines.
    • It flexibly uses devices of the computer, you are able to boot Puppy from any bootable tool and install it to any writable device. You are also able to combine devices together like boot from Live CD that you can save performed work environment to hard disk or a USB tool.
    • Offers numerous install options you need to just Run Puppy as a Live CD and mount it to disk or USB, or use the simple.

Yes you have heard it correct the latest version of Puppy Linux is V4.0 which includes numerous applications which are similar to earlier versions, but including that it has got several are newer releases. It also arrives with a several new applications, some are mentioned below:
    1. Editing: It has got several applications like Abiword word processor, Geany and has got Leafpad text editors for editing.
    2. Internet: It support internet using SeaMonkey browser and has Instant Messenger client also have tools for FTP, telnet, torrents and downloads
    3. Networking: You can perform networking using Pwireless and Xautoconnect application for wireless scanning & creating connections and also provide dialup using PPPoE, and VPN clients.
    4. Personal: You can manage personal details using OSMO personal organizer and PPLOG personal blog, it provide with notes and password managers.
    5. Multimedia: you can play audio and video files using Gxine media player and Pmusic audio player with all it has different CD/DVD and music tools.
    6. Configuration: you can perform conifration with help of the Wizard and several single wizards and GUI panels for effortless device configuration and administration.
    7. Graphics: Xsane image scanner, Gtkam camera manager, mtPaint image editor & screen capture and InkscapeLite vector editor.

There is lots of improvement in Puppy Linux 4.0 as compare to its previous versions in hardware support.
    • It has got improved booting speed and is quite fast.
    • Detection for the hardware is improved. Provide with superior modem detection and configuration.
    • It has got Auto-resolution for many of the LCD screens.
    • It has enhanced PCMCIA support and has improved the time zone setting.
    • It has got Installer that is quite improved from previous versions.
    • It has come up with several re-written wizards and utilities

I think this is quite great as compare to earlier versions of Puppy Linux which you can run from the Live CD.