Thread: Query about Windows 7 XP mode

Query about Windows 7 XP mode

Just I have installed 64 bit Windows 7 professional, but from that instant I have noticed that some of the applications are incompatible with this operating system. I think that I have sufficient hardware configuration to support XP mode. I want to know that does virtual machine runs in the background? even if I close applications. Does virtual machine start up every time I boot my computer? If anyone having information or suggestions on this then please reply me.
    Last edited by Tallin; 18-11-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Re: Query about Windows 7 XP mode

I have experience the same and I think that virtual machine is start ups when you boot computer or when resume computer from sleep or from hibernation. When you run Virtual machine using Windows virtual PC and in between if you put your computer into the hibernation or sleep. Then, after resuming computer virtual machine gets start from that instant where it resumed. And it also runs at the background of process.

You are right I have faced some problem, that some programs cannot run on Windows 7. I have some knowledge on this that is, some of the older productivity programs cannot run on windows 7. You can get many of built- in tools that use for program compatibility with Windows 7. When you installed windows 7 then windows XP program are get install on it. But there are few programs that could not run properly even if you are having sufficient hardware configuration for that. I hope this information may help you.

You can check each VMWP.exe (Virtual Machine Worker Process) process and can check properties of that process. Every process is having its own reference at the command line section which is known as VM’s GUID. You can go through the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines and to kill the VMWP.EXE. By doing this you can kill that VM without affecting other process running in VM’s.